Engine block heater????

Awaugh

Reaction score
I have a 2012 f250 and im tryin to find out if it has a block heater. Talk to my dealer today and he said if it wasnt listed on the window sticker as an option that it didnt have it. Well it wasnt listed on there but I have read that all ford diesels come with it but no cord. I checked under the bumper and there isnt a cord. Anyones input on this mystery would be appriciated. Thanxs guys

mint-6oh

Reaction score
A block heater was an option for a 6.7l. If your truck doesnt have the option you don't have one. You would need to purchase the block heater and cord if you wanted one.

Petro

Reaction score
I know a block heater is nice and all but I can't hardly see why you need it. With both of my 6.4s I could literally get in it when the temps were 0 and start it right up without cycling the GPs and they wouldn't miss a beat. So I can't hardly see why it would be a problem to start in any temp if you cycle the gps. The 6.7 is also a newer engine so it should be just as good if not better than the 6.4.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The only reason I plug my truck in is because I short trip it and want the temps to be a little better. I really don't need to plug it in. Fires up in the cold no problem.

alwil

Reaction score
The only reason I plug my truck in is because I short trip it and want the temps to be a little better. I really don't need to plug it in. Fires up in the cold no problem.

I plug mine in cause I have witnessed first hand what can happen when its really cold out and you run your vehicle.
Granted this was -35C but it is still much easier on things if a person just plugs it in for a few hours.

sagebel

Reaction score
From the 6.7 Diesel Bible: Engine Block Heater
The engine block heater is located on
the right side of the engine block. The
block heater uses 110V AC to heat
the engine coolant in cold weather
climates. Use the engine block heater
must be used whenever ambient
temperatures are at or below -23°C
(-9°F).
The engine block heater is standard
on every engine. The power cord is an
optional accessory.

I haven't looked at my truck yet to see if it is there.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
You don't need one, my friends 6.7 started right up in 0* F like it was 60*. You still need to let it warm up but it still starts up really quick

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I wasn't too impressed with how it works

My 6.4 2
Would keep 75-80 degree coolant temp on start up. With ambient at 10 degrees.

My 6.7 will only keep it at about 37-40 same ambient.

They start great in the Cold
last week -5 like it was nothing, glow plug light only stays on for 5 sec at the longest. Super impressed with that.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I was going to say that wouldn't make.sense...

I'll verify I had the correct sensor was being watched

speedinpowerstroke

Reaction score
my 6.0 started when it was 7*f no prob so its not that you need one but its nice to get in your truck and it already be warm heat and what not. as of the question idk lol.

Repairshop

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yup and the block is getting 80 degrees. Sometimes you gotta leave reading scan tools to the pros jk haha

Last edited:

Repairshop

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Btw. All us 6.7 owners are gonna be getting new glow plugs. Ford engineering says its glow plug design that is causing dropped valves cracked exhaust valves. Didnt see another thread but this may be old news.....

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I never scanned the 6.7 for pids on my dash daq. It picked up the coolant temp from my 6.4 so im sure that's why.

I checked the coolant temp with oil temp on the dash and they were the same so I never even thought twice.

Repairshop

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The ect in the cooler not being connected will limp a 6.7. And make it run bad as well. It thinks egr is blocked or stuck open and derates. I guess thats why nobody deletes them