Fuel System - Revamped

genie144

Reaction score
So have been having some fuel pressure issues and some issues with my switching valves. I believed the root cause of the issues were related to the routing of the fuel system which was not ideal and the sticking selector valve. This is a work in progress but should be wrapped up by the weekend and fix my issues (fingers crossed):

Fuel Pump - Key on Engine Off - dB meter ~10' away at ~5' elevation
th_4eb61b99.jpg

Same as above:
th_340ce6e7.jpg

db Meter under truck - KOEO
3c541157.jpg

Same:
e0005e9e.jpg

Rail Mount:
0af9c37c.jpg

Pre-Dahls Tee:
be9f9781.jpg

Pre-Dahl Tee 2nd angle:
513beeeb.jpg

Outlet from Selector Valve:
ca286045.jpg

180 Selector Valve Outlet:
1cefc612.jpg

Unions:
9ecd9a4d.jpg

Dahl 1 outlet:
c67e428a.jpg

Return Selector Valve:
01405b09.jpg

Wiring Mess:
8700d5c7.jpg

So that was what I was starting with. The routing was necessitated by some last minute changes and obviously is not ideal for a stock setup let alone a high performance SVO fuel system.

This is where I am at now:

Factory Tank:
8336e042.jpg

Frame Rail:
cb7f3a9e.jpg

Coolant Filter (this is causing a problem):
6a71d1b0.jpg

Rerouted Wiring:
0ad88fb3.jpg

So now that the system is gutted - it is time to rebuild it and make it all fit... Quite the challenge...

Back of Mounting Box:
54426857.jpg

Money Shot:
99b1a0c0.jpg

Bed towards Engine:
2a79d54f.jpg

Engine towads Bed:
153544c3.jpg

So that is where I am at. The bracket is fabbed and the mounting tabs for the filters are welded into place. I am needing a few specialty connections to actually get everything mounted. Once I have the filters mounted in place, I will be working on locating the tank selector valves to minimize bends, loops, etc in the fuel line. Once everything everything is welded (tabs for selector valves) I will be putting some sound deadener on the inside of the box. Then the whole thing will be painted with some rubberized undercoating I have from previous sound proofing projects. I am not sure how long the coating will last - eventually I will have it recoated with truck bed liner.

The goal is to improve the pump performance (fuel pressure) and decrease the volume of the pump inside and outside of the truck. 90dB is a bit obnoxious for a pump at 10 feet and 5 feet up.

Sam

Tom S

Reaction score
Sam I normally use the yellow gas rector seal pipe dope on my stuff but someone just posted an even better stuff to use just the other day. I hopefully can think of the name of it.

I was shocked how loud that fuel lab pump is. Is part of your work to see about quieting that down? I seriously think I would run two SD pumps on mine way before I was cool with those loud pumps.

Tom

genie144

Reaction score
Tom - if you remember the name - please let me know. I will need something in a few days. As far as the volume... The box is enclosed on the 4 sides and top. There is a 4" hole on the narrow sides for hoses. The entire inside will have a layer of aluminum backed sound deadener. The entire box will then be 'painted' with a rubberized undercoat that is designed to absorb sound.

I think that between the box and then improving the suction side should make it a fair bit quieter...

Sam

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sam,

we use loctite 545 on almost everything veggie related, good stuff. Just make sure it's the 545!!! Also use it on a lot of filtration connections too.

I can't get over how loud that pump is... that's absurd.

genie144

Reaction score
I was shocked how loud that fuel lab pump is. Is part of your work to see about quieting that down? I seriously think I would run two SD pumps on mine way before I was cool with those loud pumps.

Tom
So without the fittings I need for the Dahl's, I was a limited how much I could get done this weekend. :doh: Mainly cosmetic, but should have the fittings this week and have everything reinstalled for this weekend.

Tom - to your question about noise. I have spoken with the guys over at Fuelab a couple times (great guys from my experience) and think that the way the pump was mounted and routed contributed to the volume. Fuelab strongly recommends having some form of isolator between the pump bracket and whatever metal you mount it to. I don't think I saw that anywhere in the pump paperwork, but apparently isolating the pump helps decrease the noise. With that said - I am taking a few additional steps:

Outside coating in progress:
4d23ed4c.jpg

Top Rubberized:
8b6374a6.jpg

Door - Constrained Layer Dampening (CLD):
e9de74fc.jpg

Back Wall and Brackets CLD:
690472df.jpg

0550e6dd.jpg

1d578001.jpg

Door - CLD and Coated:
a8f20053.jpg

Back Wall CLD and Coated:
e9717fa9.jpg

27bda0af.jpg

0194b2f9.jpg

So the entire interior of the box/bracket has a single layer of a CLD (think dynamat - but better stuff) and then the entire box/bracket inside and out has a 1.5 coats of a rubberized undercoating spray made by Dupont. This is left over stuff I had from previous projects. There should be no vibration or sound transmission via the box/bracket. When the coating dries, it looks better. I wish I had had the time to take the box to get coated by some bed liner. I am not sure how well the rubber coating will hold up under the truck catching all the dirt and rock from the road.

Sam

Last edited:

genie144

Reaction score
Sam I normally use the yellow gas rector seal pipe dope on my stuff but someone just posted an even better stuff to use just the other day. I hopefully can think of the name of it.

Tom

Sam,

we use loctite 545 on almost everything veggie related, good stuff. Just make sure it's the 545!!! Also use it on a lot of filtration connections too.

I can't get over how loud that pump is... that's absurd.
Question about the loctite and tightening connections. Do I have to tighten the connections as much as possible with the loctite or can I simply tighten to where I need it? I am mainly looking at the connections coming out of my valves and I need the 90s to be straight up. Stupid question... Just want to be sure before I get everything reassembled and put back up under the truck just to find it leaking...

Sam

genie144

Reaction score
Ok... Getting really close to reinstall. Got everything mounted and it is Coming together. Still have a hose to fix and pump mount to relocate... Also got the coolant hoses rerouted and just need to remount the coolant filter. That will have to be temporary until I can do IH waterpump.

Test fitting:
397ee573.jpg

Hoses made:
d7e3515a.jpg

Sam

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Question about the loctite and tightening connections. Do I have to tighten the connections as much as possible with the loctite or can I simply tighten to where I need it? I am mainly looking at the connections coming out of my valves and I need the 90s to be straight up. Stupid question... Just want to be sure before I get everything reassembled and put back up under the truck just to find it leaking...

Sam

The 545 is thread sealant - not to be confused with thread locker most are used to seeing from Loctite. You must tighten NPT fittings until they are TIGHT - likely turning more to get 'where you need them'. Trust me, not tight enough WILL leak...

I also use Gasoila thread sealant. The Loctite 545 sealant is best on small fittings, but I prefer the thick Gasoila product on 1/2" and larger fittings. You'll never use that watery white or yellow crap from hardware/autoparts again if ya ever get the 'good stuff'.
http://www.jmesales.com/item/103266/Gasoila-Soft-Set-Thread-Sealants-W-PTFE.aspx

genie144

Reaction score
Well finally got back to this and got everything buttoned up... Had a filter housing that apparently I didn't tighten all of the way... So it leaked. But having the ability to cut off 1 housing is NICE! I forgot I need coolant (had to rearrange lines and drained some onto a pile of kitty litter :badidea: ) but had the truck running for ~5 minutes.

First impression of the noise - at least half what it was. First impression of my frankenstein box - I need a suspension and body lift cause it is big... There will be no changing filters on the side of I-70 in Kansas in -10 degree weather at 2AM without a light this time...

Only problem (other than coolant) I have right now is fuel pressure. The gauge is pegged at 100psi. How do I turn the aeromotive regulator down?

Sam

racehauler

Reaction score
I have a Fuel Lab pump and mounted it to the frame with some MSD Vibration Isolators

With the key on before starting the engine you can hear the pump a little, but after I start it up you would never know it from a stock SD pump.

genie144

Reaction score
Well the fuel pressure was my own stupidity (rushing to get truck on road):
0dd59e30.jpg

Last test fit before new filters:
7f57d14b.jpg

Shiny Filters ready for install:
da57c4ba.jpg

Fuelab:
0e5856d9.jpg

Couple of Selector Valve Pictures:
b6055b76.jpg

eb82bb51.jpg

Internal wiring (all with wrap and zip ties):
6970a472.jpg

I still need to get audio of the difference in fuel pump noise - but you can't hear it running with the truck on. MAJOR difference.

Sam

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.