6.7 Rods?

imelmo

Reaction score
What is the difference in 6.7 rods from the other Powerstroke rods (6.4's, 6.0's, 7.3's) that seems to make them so much less resiliant to power? Except the 7.3 pmr of course. LOL

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Wirst pin i believe is the same as the 6.0's but the 6.7 piston skirts aren't holding up. The rest of it is just make-up. They were originally spec'd to be Forged rods but somewhere Ford changed that to Powdered Metal

Im thinking it has a little to do with cylinder pressures but that's just an educated guess

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If you have ever seen them they are super small and skinny. Its not a material issue that I can see so much as a under built.

Ford wanted the.engine snappy and responsive so they made everything lighter.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Not sure on that pmr can be strong as proven by the 6.4

Forged may have been good fo another 100 hp but hard to say

morefuel

Reaction score
I believe i once read on here that the powdered metal can make as much power as forged rods but the powered metal need more metal in different areas that the forged. But i read that in the 7.3 forum so i could be wrong.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
From an engineering standpoint there is no comparison between powdered metal parts and forged. Even the density is much lower.

PMR tends to be very dimensionally stabil and need very little post process machining. =low cost
Forging is what you want for high strength.

Ford clearly put a bean counter in charge of this decision.

I suppose that's why a set of factory rods is $600 and a set of forged ones are $3500 (add in low volume and you get a very high price.)

Last edited:

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I will be in the market to buy a new truck later this year. The other truck I'm considering is a 6.7 cummins ho. At least the cummins I can tune and not even worry about rods right off. But a ford I do.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I will be in the market to buy a new truck later this year. The other truck I'm considering is a 6.7 cummins ho. At least the cummins I can tune and not even worry about rods right off. But a ford I do.

Wow Jrod, already making that much bank?

sent from the rust monster

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
If ford sticks with the 6.7 I hope they follow the path of the duramax where as they see failures they beef up those parts, i.e turbo, rods, valves. I don't know a lot about the 6.7 but those are really the only failures I've heard of.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Cause you can throw rods stock? They are too effin thin anyway to feel comfortable to put a tune on it anyway.

Never heard of a stock rod failure. I have heard of a couple spin bearings and then break rods. There were others but they failed all the rods due to a hydro lock situation with urea in the fuel I guess.

Even must tuned trucks won't have rod issues. Turbo..maybe.

Last edited:

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
ive never heard of a stock truck having rod problems as in cracking or bending.. just for the rod failing. as for a tuned truck, i dont think i have either, but im not 100%. just the trucks doing it are the compounded trucks.. think about the trucks with singles.. theyre knocking on the door of 600 with stock rods iirc

turbos, well thats a given at any power level.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
From what I've seen the trucks that spit out the rods were mostly the compound turbo ones running a stock canned tune or ones with some other mechanical failure (hydrolock, bad valves, etc.)

Yes, the rods are weak, but they are strong enough for what the engine is capable of in stock form.

Mine runs great so far and it's putting down almost 1000 ft-lbs of torque :eek:

Add fuel, turbo, etc and don't tune it for these items and it'll go bye bye. On the other hand, H&S is saying they are getting over 600hp with a turbo and more fuel and the rods are holding up. That kind of points to a bad tune in the compounds that blew rods out the side.

Time will tell I suppose, but I'm betting H&S will prove the rods are strong enough if it's tuned right...though they are likely going to have to give up some bottom end torque.
Makes me wonder if H&S will offer a tune for those few who do replace the rods.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
Why would they?

:whs: Why should ford give 2 ****s about the .0001 of people that buy these trucks to try and make them into top fuel dragsters.

Overall picture is the engines are holding up just fine in stock working form. Which is the customer that ford needs to keep happy, so he continues buying ford trucks for his company.

NOT the other dik holes who throw compounds in the truck, blow it up, and then expect ford to fix it. Dont get me wrong I love playing with these diesel pickups, but NOBODY honestly NEEDS 600+hp to get the job done.

Its a pay to play game. You want to play big spend the coin and get the carrillo rods then you dont have to worry. JMO.

Now the issues with the C&C trucks they need to address. Its the main reason we dont have a new rollback at the shop.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
From an engineering standpoint there is no comparison between powdered metal parts and forged. Even the density is much lower.

PMR tends to be very dimensionally stabil and need very little post process machining. =low cost
Forging is what you want for high strength.

Ford clearly put a bean counter in charge of this decision.

I suppose that's why a set of factory rods is $600 and a set of forged ones are $3500 (add in low volume and you get a very high price.)

Exactly my point. Well said

Latest posts

Members online