Lost Brakes and Power Steering

pog

Reaction score
Coming off the hwy today i go to put my brakes on and realize the pedal is hard like the fluid isnt being pumped, truck barley stops in time. Then go to turn no power steering. Put my truck in park still running and then back into drive and it works perfect. No codes or anything. Wtf? This is a serious issue that could cause some serious accident. Anyone got any ideas of what to do?

Thanks.

pog

Reaction score
But why the power steering too. Ive been driven around the city its all fine. Still risky.

pog

Reaction score
Nope. Coasting. Had cruise on stepped on brake to disengage it. Coasting to stop sign and then went to slow down and pedal got hard so i had to press hard to get it to stop. I was lucky no one was ahead of me. Couldnt have steered out of the way either.

zabeard

Reaction score
You do know the system is hydro assist right? No brake booster like you would find on a car. The boost in brake pressure comes from the power steering system. If the power steering system fails or has issues then you will loose brake pressure.

pog

Reaction score
Ill do some research and check it out. Driven about 60ish miles since no issues.

bcpsd

Reaction score
They use the hydroboost system to actuate the brakes and power steering. My 06 did the same thing. It will get more frequent as time goes, so get it changed soon. You are probably out of warranty on it so plan on $600 for a replacement.

pog

Reaction score
Yeah i know everythings out of warranty. I live canada prob 800$ . Can a back yard type mechanic change the pump in these trucks or is it some headache to do?

pog

Reaction score
Been talking to the ford tech at my local dealer he is stumped too. Hes gonna call their hotline and see what needs to be done. Hes betting its the hydroboost itself the thing that sits under the brake fluid i think.

MorganY

Reaction score
did you ever figure out what this issue was? Im having the same thing, but all of the time. all fluids are topped up, hard to stop, spongy pedal.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
My guess os the power steering pump. Had a buddy had this happen to him on how Fummins, using a 6.0 powersteering pump. Replaces the pump and all is better

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.