obs heater interferance

Clipper

Reaction score
97 f250, put in a radio I bought off a guy from same year truck, clear sound until I turn the heater on. Then it has static. Any ideas?

jdc753

Reaction score
That is weird. If you could I would swap the radio back to the other truck to rule out the radio itself.

Is this an aftermarket radio? or factory unit?

Grounding out the case of the unit might help it if it is indeed part of the unit. You could take a wire and either attach it directly to the back of the case where a stud/nut sticks out (common on some aftermarket units) or back out a case screw on one of the corners and wind a wire under it, then attach the other end of the wire to the metal structure of the dash. Basically just adds a secondary ground to the case of the radio. As it should already be ground through the harness itself.

Is it static as in FM/AM radio reception static, or is this a static that follows into the other sources, cassette or cd?

If so then it rules out any issue with the antenna wire or connection, and pushes it back to being downstream of the radio, or the radio itself.

If it is an aftermarket unit, are you running an external amplifier?

If so then maybe the RCA cables are too close to a power wire to the heater inducing electrical noise.

Do you get any other interference with other electrical functions like blinkers, or wipers?

If not then I would focus on the wiring directly behind the radio and see if maybe a harness off the heater or the radio got moved closer to each other causing some interference to get picked up and sent out to the speakers.

Latest posts

Members online