Remote Start Install

clayton

Reaction score
I had a buddy of a buddy do it on his afterwork spare time over the last week and have had a few issues.
Its a Viper 5902. Its basically done, the alarm works but apparently the trigger switch is d.o.a. Its only a two wire plug/switch that plugs in the "brain". He said he tried a different switch and it worked but mine doesnt. Hit the start button on fob and "trigger switch off" displays regardless if switch is on or off position.

Called around town and no one has a viper switch, I bought a very similar switch from hardware store, same power ratings 3a/250v, 6a/125v and tried it but it didnt work either.
Ive google'd the **** out of this problem and not much on it, I read one guy looped the two wires and had success but only for a short time, I dont want to bugger anything.
Anyone have any ideas?

clayton

Reaction score
The blue toggle switch in this pic is the culprit
vipertoggleswitch.jpg

Lowdown89

Reaction score
As long as it is the same ratings on the switch I don't see what the problem would be... I know on a similar setup like that a buddy if mine bought a small switch at radio shack and it it worked fine

clayton

Reaction score
Only thing I can think now is the switch provided actually has 3 connections although only two are used. The one I bought only has two like this one...
toggleswitch.jpg

clayton

Reaction score
I found a new/used switch and tried it and nothing. I then saw a wire in the H2 harness "Neutral Safety Input" that needed to be grounded and wasnt so I grounded it and problem solved.

Now a new problem :doh: Says remote start activated but it doesnt start truck! No fault messages either.....not sure wtf now.

Sniper32

Reaction score
well no disrespect but doesnt seem like your buddy really knows what hes doin...does it crank when you try to auto start it? or just nothing? if it cranks but doesnt start, you need to learn the tach (assuming he hooked up the tach wire properly). If it turns on and buzzes injectors, the starter wire may be flipped.

clayton

Reaction score
No offense taken. He used to work at install place and installed vipers, thats why I had him do it......
He told me everything worked except the switch yesterday, well I got the switch working sooooo, wtf dude?!?

I hit the start button on fob and says "remote start activated" but doesnt turn over, I hear the "brain" click once or twice and thats it, no dash lights etc. Then timer runs as if engine was running.

clayton

Reaction score
Yes.
I tried hooking up the "key side starter input" wire but didnt work, the Output wire was connected already. He said he had it working but Im not so sure I believe it.

Last edited:

TERRCO

Reaction score
Did you buy the alarm new? If he's a competent installer then it sounds like the brain has a problem. If it was used you know why it was sold.

clayton

Reaction score
The 5902 is brand new, I bought it about 2 years ago but waited to install it (Lack of trust for other people touching my **** and I contemplated doing it myself)

His wiring/connections are all pretty solid but I think he got in over his head on this one and has been making excuses to me to not upset me.
He already sent the brain (so he says) away to be "fixed" as the built in timer wasnt working. Me finding the wire that needed grounding, and now a few other suspicious wires has me wondering.
I Just found the wire from one harness called "Diesel wait to start input (-) ) tied into another wire from different harness called "Remote Start/Turbo Timer Activation Input (-) ) !!!! WTF
Im lost.
Thanks ya'll for reading and helping.

clayton

Reaction score
Its back. I got the toggle switch to work by grounding that wire. Fob says remote start activated but nothing happens.

Couple more wires not connected, not sure if necessary to remote start?
H2 Harness, 18-Pin
H2/11 Pink/White - 200mA Flex Relay Control Output
H2/12 Orange - 200mA Accessory Output
H2/13 Purple - 200mA Starter Output
H2/14 Pink - 200mA Ignition 1 Output
H2/15 Grey - Hood Pin Input
H2/17 Brown - Brake Shutdown Switch

clayton

Reaction score
I appreciate the help and input guys!
If I cant get it figured out im going to leave it and let someone who knows what they're doing fix it..

Sniper32

Reaction score
Its back. I got the toggle switch to work by grounding that wire. Fob says remote start activated but nothing happens.

Couple more wires not connected, not sure if necessary to remote start?
H2 Harness, 18-Pin
H2/11 Pink/White - 200mA Flex Relay Control Output
H2/12 Orange - 200mA Accessory Output
H2/13 Purple - 200mA Starter Output
H2/14 Pink - 200mA Ignition 1 Output
H2/15 Grey - Hood Pin Input
H2/17 Brown - Brake Shutdown Switch

Seriously? Yeah they are all important. With no starter and ignition output how is the truck gonna start? Lol

clayton

Reaction score
There is the Remote Start Harness (H3) That contains starting wires.
Heres a pic, the ones I posted are bottom left and ones connected already except one are upper right
viper5902quickreferenceinstallguide.jpg

clayton

Reaction score
Basically the ones I mentioned above,
In the H2 Harness:
H2/11 through to H2/17. Hood pin I checked and doesnt need connecting (when I connect it to ground the remote fob says "hood open")
H2/17 Brake shutdown - It isnt connected, not sure if needs to be?
H2/14 Ignition 1 Output - not connected, not sure if needs to be?
H2/13 Starter Output - not connected, not sure if needs to be?
H2/12&11 as well.

Im trying to figure out why its not starting truck and the Fob isnt telling me why.

Last edited: