looking for a new headunit

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
im looking for a new headunit. after spending some time in the expedition i am really enjoying the bluetooth features of the sync. i have also always wanted to get a dvd player for the truck. i would ideally like to get a touch screen dvd player that is capible of streaming bluetooth stereo and do hands free calling from my blackberry. im not in any way interested in a gps deck as id really prefer to just buy a stand alone unit. id like to possibly add a back up camera at some point and keep my steering wheel controls. i will eventually upgrade speakers and possibly a amp later but what would be a good brand to look to quality and sound wise? id ideally like to stay under $400 bucks but im kinda doubting that is going to be possible

jdc753

Reaction score
It is going to be tough to stay under $400 for what you are looking for, and also tough to get those features without GPS. It has been a while since I have shopped the market to see what is available, but check out www.crutchfield.com That will be pretty close to the most extensive one-stop shop, and it does have the best knowldge/specs/hands-on information about each piece they sell, with that they will also be close to the most expensive you will find, but they do some with free mounting kits and adapter harness.

I would check Kenwood and Pioneer primarily, Alpine will be good but they are more focused on the audio side than the bonus features (bluetooth, GPS, etc)

For the steering wheel controls you will need to add a module such as the PAC-SWI modules or similar interface units.

jdc753

Reaction score
Ill check them out. Damn I could put a 30 something inch smart tv in the truck cheaper than a stereo

I could help you with that too!!

So we're gonna need to start with some fiberglass and a dremel...

But yea, car stereo gear isn't cheap, I think its cheaper than the diesel performance hobby, but it all comes down to your preferences. I could show you some gear that will start rivaling buying a complete new pickup truck in price :evil

Zmann

Reaction score
sonicelectronix.com beats crutchefeild in price

they are knowledgeable and returns have been reportedly easy

crutchefeild refused to price match and the difference was over 100 bucks

so I ordered My Pioneer BT from sonic and they actually ran out of stock and up graded me for free

jdc753

Reaction score
absolutely, sonic is a good place. I just forgot to add second links. I still like crutchfield for researching new products, but due to pricing I just couldn't justify buying from them.

I know sonic is pretty much 100% authorized for all the gear they sell, but unathorized dealers will always have the cheapest prices.

Just thinking when someone is shopping they need to be aware of the difference with authorized vs unathorized. It's not the end of the world and like you are buying stuff illegally, what it comes down to is, if you purchase through an authorized dealer you will get the factory warrenty with the product, if you purchase through an unauthorized dealer then the factory warrenty will be void, usually these dealers offer their own warrenty with the product.

zilla68

Reaction score
i bought a double din pioneer dvd bluetooth unit from crutchfield for christmas for our tahoe, and its been a great little reciever. I figured out the wire around for the in motion dvd thru you tube, and works great for what we need. The bluetooth is cool, you can dial from the head unit, it imports contacts when connected bluetooth, etc.
it does as much as my old pioneer flip up monitor did years ago for 1/5 the price.

Zmann

Reaction score
I know sonic is pretty much 100% authorized for all the gear they sell, but unathorized dealers will always have the cheapest prices.

I always check and they Are authorized resellers for MTX and that is good because My last MTX was not from a reseller and cost me $$ to get fixed

I usually check unless the seller is offering "their warranty" meaning the OEM won't warranty but they will fix or replace then that can be fine also

I still have found the best prices at sonic even over gray market items on many items plus they have fitment and supply adapters and those free items like the crutch

jdc753

Reaction score
Exactly!!

Lots of people just starting out shopping and never ask why a product is $1000 at site X and then $800 at site Y

I also like that sonic is easy to browse and they carry everything including all the installation wire and fuses, etc plus you can buy raw wire and installation pieces that most only sell as part of kits.

one2nine

Reaction score
sonic is great for aftermarket headunits. Good prices. I ended up getting my clarion nx501 new pretty cheap online. Infact I think it was fron sonic's ebay store.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I've been looking and I've found a few of the avic pioneers. Ranging from 250 and up used. They seem to be pretty much what I'm wanting. Which models should I shy from which ones are the best? Are these worth considering? What issues would I be looking for in these decks?

jdc753

Reaction score
I really can't offer much help on the HU's, but do some reading on each model you find over here... www.avic411.com It's a forum dedicated to Pioneer Double din headunits, I believe each model has it's own sub forum and can probably get a good idea of the good or bad on each unit there.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I picked up a jvc kw-av61bt today under $300. 6" screen dvd, blue tooth built in. 4v out put and best of all detachable face