Are Brake Controllers Creatred Equal?

alradco

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I know virtually nothing about brake controllers. I don't remeber off the top of my head what I have in my SD but it seems very generic and really doesn't seem to offer much.

I recently bought a 38ft triple axle toyhauler and with safety being extremely important, I thought I would turn to the experts. What are you guys using and recommend? Thanks.

Peter

bad12jr

Reaction score
A progressive controller is where its at. Ill have to see what's in my truck brand wise. We had a pulse one years ago on my grandpa's truck and would lock the trailer brakes often. The progressive is very smooth and easies the brakes on up to your Max setting.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
PM "Jason" on here..he's a buddy of mine and used to do OTR hotshotthing in his F250 with a big enclosed car hauler hauling high end cars...I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

Edit: I sent him a link to this thread

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I only use Tekonsha PRODIGY brake controllers any more. They are progressive and work awesome. My gooseneck has electric over hydraulic brakes which requires progressive control otherwise you end up just locking the brakes up on the trailer any time you hit the brakes.

Jason

Reaction score
I agree with hotrodtractor. I had the prodigy p3, and loved it....nice to be able to set your gain where you want it, loaded...and then when empty, instead of backing the gain down, just a push of a button knocks the intensity down. I practically never touched the gain afyer i set it the first time. It also alerts you when it loses connection via ground loss, or plug removal.

alradco

Reaction score
What about maxbrake? Is it worth the extra $$ over the p3? Thanks for the input so far.

Peter

Snake

Reaction score
Not sure about the maxbrake, but I can add another vote for the Prodigy P3. We use one in my wife's Silverado when pulling the horse trailer and that was the one we bought after considerable research. Her safety was the most important thing and it helps that the controller is very easy to use.

THETANK01

Reaction score
Tekonsha prodigy p3 is what i have. It work awesome.

Sent from the drivers seat.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I agree with hotrodtractor. I had the prodigy p3, and loved it....nice to be able to set your gain where you want it, loaded...and then when empty, instead of backing the gain down, just a push of a button knocks the intensity down. I practically never touched the gain afyer i set it the first time. It also alerts you when it loses connection via ground loss, or plug removal.

I love that feature on mine - I use the intensity control almost exclusively - its on 1 empty and 3 when its fully loaded. Works perfectly and is stupid simple.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'll do more research to be sure but I believe it is a direct plug-n-go setup. I am not sure why the master cylinder would need to be swapped though...

Snake

Reaction score
Not sure about the 6.4's, but if they're the same configuration as a 6.0 then it's not a plug and play to add the OEM TBC. You also need a different master cylinder and a reflash.

Last edited:

alradco

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll go with the P3. Appreciate the input.

Peter

Zmann

Reaction score
Not sure about the 6.4's, but if they're the same configuration as a 6.0 then it's not a plug and play to add the OEM TBC. You also need a different master cylinder and a reflash.
You are correct

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.