Need sub help.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my stereo in my truck. I'm going to be running a jvc hu. I'm looking to add subs as well. My truck is an ex cab, the subs will be under the rear seat. Now what are decent brands.... Been looking at JL audio. So I'm looking at decent crisp sound with a good bass. Idk what amp and sun combo would be good.... Any help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossBack

Reaction score
Jl audio is great and depending on which sub u choose the 500/1 or 1000/1 amp is going to run them. The amps are rated at rms like Rockford fosgate so when comparing to cheaper brands remember that rms is generally half of peak. It seems like the box that goes under the seat is a 10" box and fairly shallow. And u may be limited to how powerful u can run.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I know Rockford fosgate make shallow mount subs... Idk if JL does I have no idea on how to match amps to subs... All mine were kits I bought....

MossBack

Reaction score
I always prefer to stay brand loyal. Although price is always determine that. So far I have ran pioneer , Rockford , ken wood , alpine and Memphis . All were great and tough to compare between pioneer and rf as both are LOUD!!

jdc753

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to match an amp to a sub, but generally you need to pick one before the other, so get your sub(s) selected and figured out and then pick an amp that will give you the final output power you need and at the resistance/impedance/ohm that works with your sub(s) selection.

RMS power is the only power rating that matters, and honestly if a amp or sub advertises strongly its Peak power handling, then it is most likely not even worth purchasing.

Just the other week I helped a buddy measure up the inside of his super cab for a sub box, there really isn't much room under that back seat. I would honestly stick to 8" subs as 10" is the max you could fit under the seat but I think it will really hinder room for the heel for anyone sitting in the back seat. We ended up selecting a 8" shallow Pioneer sub and down firing it, he wasn't looking for too much so it should work out good.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Well I know that pioneer and Rockford fosgate both make a shallow mount sub. I'm looking for a crisp clean sound my stock system just doesn't have the bass always sounds weak...... I had to kicker comp 10s in my obs but I had a huge box and I'd rather have the smaller setup under the seat

jdc753

Reaction score
both of those will make shallow 8's that will work no problem in a downfiring configuration.

I checked with my buddy and he said there was only 6" of height at the front of the seat, which rules out forward firing, which would open up the sub selection as then you could use a conventional sub instead of only shallow mounts.

His box I believe it ending up around 0.5ft^3 for the single shallow 8" and will take up just over half of the space beneath the rear seat, so leaves you with the short jump seat, you can still flip up and get good floor storage space.

Only other option I would consider due to space constraints would be something with the center console, unless you use the jump seat, or have the console stuffed, it makes for a good alternative that doesn't suck up a lot of usable interior space and opens up some possibilities subwoofer wise.

smokedout250

Reaction score
both of those will make shallow 8's that will work no problem in a downfiring configuration.

I checked with my buddy and he said there was only 6" of height at the front of the seat, which rules out forward firing, which would open up the sub selection as then you could use a conventional sub instead of only shallow mounts.

His box I believe it ending up around 0.5ft^3 for the single shallow 8" and will take up just over half of the space beneath the rear seat, so leaves you with the short jump seat, you can still flip up and get good floor storage space.

Only other option I would consider due to space constraints would be something with the center console, unless you use the jump seat, or have the console stuffed, it makes for a good alternative that doesn't suck up a lot of usable interior space and opens up some possibilities subwoofer wise.

I was looking at a box like this https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2168

Something along that size I don't mind losing the folding seat the sound makes up for it. The shallows are what I have to do I think. They should work for the space I have

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Just for another idea. This is what I made up for my F-150 ext cab. It wasnt built as well or as nice as the one I just finished but worked well for what it was and such a small air space. Fosgate P3S 10" and a MTX 300 watt mono amp under the front seat

100_0464.jpg

100_0465.jpg

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Not bad, if I did it again I would make it down firing and give it a little more air though. But I liked keeping my storage under the set as well. Then again I am not an audiophile so it could have sounded like crap and I would have never know LOL

jdc753

Reaction score
I was looking at a box like this https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2168

Something along that size I don't mind losing the folding seat the sound makes up for it. The shallows are what I have to do I think. They should work for the space I have

I don't see anything wrong with that box as long as the fit n finish is all good on it. With the power level you will be running with a pair of 8's or so there is no reason to bump up to 3/4" its just more peace of mind, 5/8's shouldn't be a problem at all.

For the shallows I would run a RF of Pioneer unit, the kicker's want a lot of airspace which sorta defeats the purpose of a shallow mount.

MossBack

Reaction score
Here is what crutch field had this would look great ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358285927.871079.jpg

white07psd

Reaction score
Look up spl2k boxes, With 2 jl 13tw5s, Itll get loud. How loud do you want? Id look into dc audio or sundown audio if you really want to boom

sent from the stool.

Last edited:

white07psd

Reaction score
O ok, i assumed ex cabs had the same amount of room behind the seat as crew cabs. I have a 12" L7 in my regular cab being pushed right at 1000rms at 1ohm which is highly overpowered and it slams. Had 3 13" slim mounts at 1200rms before and that would rattle my sliding back glass open if it wasn't locked.

sent from the stool.

Latest posts

Members online