It is time for an upgrade, just have a few questions.

Mtack

Reaction score
I am ready to move on from my old 7.3 and I am starting to think a 6.4 is just what I need. Now that they have been out for a few years I wanted to ask a few questions about these beasts. I am a total newb when it comes to these motors, I don`t know anybody that even has one. Are they proving to be pretty reliable with a tune, and DPF delete? That is really all the plans I have for one, I don`t really have any plans to pull or race one. Just to run a tune, exhaust, and air intake do they need to be studded? EGR deleted? Tranny mods? Trying to plan my next truck so any info and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Any common problems? Thanks in advance!

jdgleason

Reaction score
If you are just planning on deleting the dpf and tuning it without racing or pulling, you will be just fine doing that. Make sure you spend the money on good tunes, and your truck will thank you. If you dont pound on it with bigger tunes, you shouldnt need studs or an egr delete. The tranny will be just fine for a long long while even with the bigger tunes. I have beat on mine pretty hard and it loves every minute of it. Never had any problems with mine and never loved a truck like this one.

MINK

Reaction score
I made the jump from 7.3 to 6.4, I love the new truck and dont have any regrets

jdgleason

Reaction score
Knock on wood JD.

Youre right- knock on wood. I try to take exceptional care of mine... warm up everyday, cool down every stop, change the oil before 3k, tranny services every 15k... and 80% of the time I baby it lol. But I do tow with the big tunes and DD big tunes as well. I hope my anal maintenance schedule is helping!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.