Just finished a clutch job on a ZF6

Big Bore

Reaction score
That is one big beefy tranny. It is definitely bigger than the ZF5. I really like the idea that it has cooler lines, I could see adding a larger cooler and inline filter. My buddy was trying to tell me the Dodge 6 speed is beefier, I'd have to see it to believe it. And I doubt the Dodge transfer case is as stout. Someday I will have an older crew cab with a mechanical 12v, ZF6, and 3:55 gears so I can enjoy good fuel mileage, reliability, and all in a well built truck.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That is one big beefy tranny. It is definitely bigger than the ZF5. I really like the idea that it has cooler lines, I could see adding a larger cooler and inline filter. My buddy was trying to tell me the Dodge 6 speed is beefier, I'd have to see it to believe it. And I doubt the Dodge transfer case is as stout. Someday I will have an older crew cab with a mechanical 12v, ZF6, and 3:55 gears so I can enjoy good fuel mileage, reliability, and all in a well built truck.

What model dodge trans?

If he is talking about a G56 in the common rails, he is full of ****.

If its a NV5600 then maybe, but its a cast iron unit, apples to oranges

ZF6 uses a center support bearing that makes them much stronger and less prone to flexing under high load like the g56 thats an aluminum case trans

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have worked on a number and have sold 100s of zf-6s and a few nv5600. Hes full of ****. The nv5600 is also a hateful bastard to disassemble. It doesnt split like the zf 6 does. They fail more often and are way more expensive to work on.

Also, one day when I have spare time:doh: Im putting a 7.3 zf6 into a 78 cc/sb. I already have everything to do it just need the time to put it all together.

sniper_101

Reaction score
A bit surprised/impressed when I did my clutch too. ZF-6 versus the bar-bell T-5's I'm used to working on and carrying around by hand is hilarious.

100_5448.jpg

100_5426.jpg

Just about crushed my skinny ass, but I got er' done, lol.

Big Bore

Reaction score
What model dodge trans?

If he is talking about a G56 in the common rails, he is full of ****.

If its a NV5600 then maybe, but its a cast iron unit, apples to oranges

ZF6 uses a center support bearing that makes them much stronger and less prone to flexing under high load like the g56 thats an aluminum case trans

Yea he was talking about the 5600. Good info on the center support.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I made a cradle out of angle iron and a short 1" stub with a 4" flange when I did the clutch on my ZF5. It uses the hole in the top of the floor jack where the lifting pad sits. Then I place wood blocks on the side where it doesn't quite sit flat and wrap a ratchet strap around it. I'm sure a tranny jack works better but this works so well I see no reason to buy one. I'll see if I can get some pics up later.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The ZF6 is the strongest manual trans installed in a one ton or less truck hand down - if the bell-housing wasn't integrated I would bet you would find people swapping them into anything and everything that requires some significant strength. And I have done my fair share of busting the hell out of the ZF6-S650.... The only weak spot is the input shaft splines can wear a bit easily and the trans really needs the larger output that CAN be found in some of the new revisions of the transmission that are found behind some of the 6.0 trucks IF someone were to want to go sled pulling in say Hi range 2nd and launch at say 4500 RPMs...... using 3.73 gears and 33" tires... LOL

03_PSD

Reaction score
dang, it looks big while your under the truck, but actually seeing it brought down now i can clearly see it's HUGE!

Arisley

Reaction score
That looks like a tiny can of beer. And little midget floor jacks.

Holy crap, not gonna bench press that puppy up there, and hold it in place with your knees while getting a couple of bolts started.

Charles

Reaction score
You guys would enjoy life better if you removed the driveshafts, T-case and trans separately...

I can't believe I saw the trans, t-case and driveshaft(s) all still attached laying on the floor. Was the goal to make it as cumbersome and unwieldy as physically possible?

lol.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Kudos to anyone pulling that thing on jack stands.... I said "F that" once I got a good look at how big that monster is. I've done countless T-5's, C4's, even a Glide or two on Mustangs, but I'm pawning this job off on my buddy that has a shop. $300 to install my South Bend, no problem.... LOL.

Should be heading to the shop after the holiday.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Kudos to anyone pulling that thing on jack stands.... I said "F that" once I got a good look at how big that monster is. I've done countless T-5's, C4's, even a Glide or two on Mustangs, but I'm pawning this job off on my buddy that has a shop. $300 to install my South Bend, no problem.... LOL.

Should be heading to the shop after the holiday.

$300 is a very good deal. If you have a cradle it's not that bad. I was just surprised at how much bigger it was than a ZF5. And heavier.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Yes, it is a good deal. Should be $550 by flat rate, but he's a good friend of mine, and I help him with his race car all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.