Tool Boxes . . .

sniper_101

Reaction score
Looking to get a tool box for the bed. Looking for suggestions and opinions on brands and designs. I would like a low-profile box, but not sure if a gull-wing style dual lid or single, brand, etc. Preferably something strong enough to stand on to work on stuff, and either deep enough to mount an air tank or high enough to clear a tank and compressors . . . I really don't know enough about them to know what to look for. Suggestions?

Would like a tool box/slip-tank combo, but man they're expensive.

Sorry to create another thread so soon after my tint thread, lol.

Jake

Reaction score
protech, highway products, or weatherguard.

Not in any particular order. I like the protech since they have alot of flat aluminum not all diamond plate so they are easier to shine up. I really like the hardware on the weatherguard. Also if you are looking for steel RKI are hard to beat. I have boxes from RKI, WG, and protech. They are all really good tough boxes. I would look at what hardware they have on them, gussets in the bottoms and corners. We had a continental brand box and it was falling apart after like 4 years, when my WG and RKI are like brand new.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I've been thinking about going back to another under the rail toolbox. I liked my pack rat I had but it wasted too much bed space. If I do go back to a chest type, under the rail box, security will be a focus as well. I want something that takes some work to break into. That way my alarm will page me, and I can come out with a little surprise for the thief!!!

Jake

Reaction score
If I still worked out of a truck I was going to build some custom boxes with very tight door tolerances, and use magnetic door latches and have a switch in the cab of the truck to unlock them. They would then have to destroy the box to get them open.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Weatherguard or Protech... Hwy products are very good as well.

2168735760100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

2931165250100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Clint_FX4

Reaction score
Weatherguard or Protech... Hwy products are very good as well.

2168735760100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

2931165250100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow that is awesome. I have a low profile diamond plate toolbox that was given to me. I like having it to store things in but having a short bed really doesnt leave alot of room for other stuff. Plus my spare stays in the bed. My next truck will be a long bed for sure.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The slip tank is a standard Weatherguard steel unit that I had a cover made for, the cover goes about 3" below the bed rails.

All the slip tanks are about the same, the only reason I got the weatherguard on this truck was I didnt pay for it! LOL

And FYI, that tool box has been thru HELL... I mean Hell and back. I beat the hell out of it and it has never skipped a beat in 200k.

Last edited:

STROKER

Reaction score
weathergurad we have one thats almost 10 years old and cleans up like new

jdc753

Reaction score
And FYI, that tool box has been thru HELL... I mean Hell and back. I beat the hell out of it and it has never skipped a beat in 200k.

I just got that same weatherguard box used from a guy and you would be hard pressed to tell it was used at all. Looks and works like brand new, plus TONS more room than my old standard box.

jwlandry

Reaction score
I have a RDS fuel tank/toolbox combo. Ive had it for about 100,000 miles and its been damn good. Customer service over there is great. I called them for another site glass for the fuel level in the tank and a set of gas shocks that opens and holds the lid of the tool box open with CC in hand and thy didnt charge me at all. All the guy on the phone told me was that they need to work on making them 2 items better and he was sorry that they didnt last as long as they should.

After 5 yrs of open-close open-close and all the diesel spilt on that plastic site glass, i think they lasted their time. Ill be and RDS customer for ever.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Got another weatherguard box in Oct. Black this time. My old one was fine but I didnt like the brights aluminum anymore. They are going for about $700 nowadays is the only drawback.

They really do keep the weather out as the name implies. No fine snow in the box when you open it. Always dry.

Ive got a pile of cheap ones that lasted a year and were discarded.

If you like the low pro designs, consider a chest. The chest will take up room on the floor of your bed but it'll be flush with the rails. If bedroom is a concern dont get any toolbox.

Fwiw, the new weatherguard boxes have a nifty set of tie-down d-rings right on the box to strap **** down. NICE:thumbup::thumbsup:

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
i have a 10 year old delta in my truck right now that i got for free that seems to be holding up good. the only thing i have to complain about is the previous owner had CB whips mounted to the side of it and theres 4 holes that water can get into. but the diamond plate has not held up as good as i would like with it being in the midwest. where can you buy an RDS box?

my79f

Reaction score
There has been a rhino lined RKI steel box on my truck since 99' and it has been the best box i could ask for. It takes a beating, and just wont stop.

Recently i have been thinking about getting a deeper box, is weatherguard still the preferred for this style?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ive had the same weatherguard for my last 2 trucks. Its a super solid box, and I havent ever had an issue with mine. Works great. As stated, you get what you pay for.

Cody

Reaction score
another vote for a weatherguard here i use my box everyday in and out of it and dont hesitate to sit on it, stand on it, what ever its tough.. I had an RKI it was a tough box but rotted out.. my personal favorite thing about a weather guard is the locking system, and it is WEATHER TIGHT! i like being able to have one side of the box unlocked on a single lid

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Yeah that looks just like the one I used to have in my truck, but I got mine from Tractor Supply. I'm thinking about getting another one, because I miss the storage. But I also hate giving up the bed space lol

Latest posts

Members online