How Hard To Replace Ball-Joints (2wd)

Enoch

Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace balljoints? I have a 00' F250 2wd, and apparently need new balljoints.
I did some research and found a write up but it was on a 4wd, which didn't look fun in anyway.

Any help would be appreciated, need the truck for work, but at times it feels like my wheels are gonna fall off.

Arisley

Reaction score
Took me about 90 minutes per side. Just over 3 hours, from the time I pulled the jack stands out, till the time I put them away. Getting the dually rotor off was the hardest part. That grease cap sits down in a deep hole.

Enoch

Reaction score
I can only hope I can do it that quick. My biggest fustration and time eater is trying to hunt for the right tool.
Do I need to rent or need any specialty tools?
Since it's 2wd and lowered with the djm dreambeams, there just doesn't look like much is there. Anything else you would recommend changing/replacing while I'm at it?

Thanks for the help.

IMAG0150.png

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Looks similar to a four wheel drive so you need a ball joint press. I use a two arm puller to get apart tie rod ends with out jacking up the boot.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
freakin walk in the park compared to a 4WD..
dump caliper, dump the rotor, spin the nuts off,
couple smacks with a Ford wrench,
press em out
press em in
reassemble in reverse order of dis-assembly.

Atsah

Reaction score
To do it right you need a ball joint press.. Just did mine on my 1 ton 4x4 and it took about two hours per side..

JMart

Reaction score
I think I messed up my driver side when reinstalling it after I did the dream beams. Shortly after I started hearing a clunk while moving around in the parking lot. I will be doing mine to eventually.

Enoch

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

Doesn't sound like a job I remotely want to do. :fustrate:
May have to take it and have it done. :fustrate:

And JMart, I got the same clunk noise after I had my dreambeams installed. I could never get it to do it when I took it back to the shop that installed them.
I don't think they were installed incorrectly. I would wait but mine is getting the wobbles on the hwy and roadways.
Know anyone close by, my mechanic is an hour away. :fustrate:

Tom S

Reaction score
If you are a decent home mechanic you can do ball joints esp on 2wd truck.

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

Doesn't sound like a job I remotely want to do. :fustrate:
May have to take it and have it done. :fustrate:

And JMart, I got the same clunk noise after I had my dreambeams installed. I could never get it to do it when I took it back to the shop that installed them.
I don't think they were installed incorrectly. I would wait but mine is getting the wobbles on the hwy and roadways.
Know anyone close by, my mechanic is an hour away. :fustrate:

I don't know anybody. I know people for major repairs, but I try to do everything else my self. I feel like an ide when I try to talk to some of these mechanics. You bring them something custom and all they hear is the cash register bells.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
So you don't need to drop the i-beams? I need to do this also... and all my other steering components....

Enoch

Reaction score
If you are a decent home mechanic you can do ball joints esp on 2wd truck.

I would say I am, but no press. Since my shoulders aren't the best, I tend to have to dig in my pockets more and more.

I don't know anybody. I know people for major repairs, but I try to do everything else my self. I feel like an ide when I try to talk to some of these mechanics. You bring them something custom and all they hear is the cash register bells.

I'm the same way, but having to milk a shoulder problem till this winter when work slows.
Hey check out mybayauto.com in Denton, just opened up. It's a 3 bay garage that rents out bays by the hour, 2 of the bays have lifts. I stopped by there today and will be taking the truck and stang up there to work on them soon.

Check out thetireclub.com Best deal on xrf balljoints.

Although I just bought Motorcraft ball-joints I checked out thetireclub.com and for my year truck (2000) it gave me this. lol
Sorry - The part you are currently looking for is not stocked.
Please select a different subcategory.

Last edited:

mkeenan

Reaction score
I did the all four of the ball joints in my 4x4 in about 4 hours. It wasn't horrible, considering I have never done ball joints before. I used a press from my work, but you might be able to go to autozone, carquest, etc. and rent the press. I was working at Dodge at the time and they quoted me $950 to do both sides, with an employee discount. I think it wouldn't of taken as long but I cracked my first beer before we got the wheels off. Judging by the pic it looks like a walk in the park compared to a 4x4 IMO.

Enoch

Reaction score
Thanks,.I didn't even think of renting a press.. I'm a little slow at times, thamks.. Yeah if can save $500 than it's worth it.

Stroked550

Reaction score
No need to disassemble the brakes on a 2wd. I drop the tie rod off the knuckle, disconnect brake hose and abs wire, remove upper ball joint clamp bolt, loosen lower ball joint nut until its on 2 or so threads and knock the whole assembly loose. Take it all off as a unit, press joints out and back in, and hang the whole mess back on the i beam. Much faster than taking all the brake components off, especially on a dually. It is a bit heavy going back on though.

Latest posts

Members online