Cummins questions?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Been a few years since I checked a 24v for what block it was. Told the guy where to look, front drivers side of the block. Right or wrong?

Since im posting, I could use a lesson on turbos. Looking at a truck with a steed speed t4 manifold and a hx52 turbo that scit the bed. So my question is what turbos have t4s, t6s, etc. What t4 turbo would fit good with 7x12 sticks?

Pics of the casting
imagejpeg_3.jpg
[/IMG]

imagejpeg_2.jpg
[/IMG]

Idiesel

Reaction score
That is right. What year 24v? looks like it's a Mexico block or late brazil but those were 56 blocks. The bad ones were 53 blocks. That's a pretty good sized sticks, But idk what a hx52 size is off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone

B.Warning

Reaction score
My personal opinion is get rid of the 7 hole injectors. I've had a lot of them crack and damn near break the tip off. What are your plans with the truck? Street drivin? What are you doing vp pump? Stock, hot rod, dragon fire, monster pump?

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Hx52 is a pretty big turbo. Will you be staying with the vp or p pumping? A large single will likely be pretty smoky on the street.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Truck is already p pumped.

List of engine mods:
Glacier lift pump 215 p-pump
full cut delivery valves
4 k governor springs
.093 lines matching crossover tubes
7x12 injectors
o ringed head with hd valve springs
steed speed T4 exhaust manifold
5 inch turbo back exhaust*

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
That is right. What year 24v? looks like it's a Mexico block or late brazil but those were 56 blocks. The bad ones were 53 blocks. That's a pretty good sized sticks, But idk what a hx52 size is off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone

I was tracking 53 block was garbage. Just seems like the numbers are were clearer last time I looked. Then again every block I have checked was a 53. Turbo is a 67mm based of more research from last night.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
My personal opinion is get rid of the 7 hole injectors. I've had a lot of them crack and damn near break the tip off. What are your plans with the truck? Street drivin? What are you doing vp pump? Stock, hot rod, dragon fire, monster pump?

Street driven 05 F250 with a 6inch lift and 37s. 6 speed 5600 iis what the 2nd gen has now.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Hx52 is a pretty big turbo. Will you be staying with the vp or p pumping? A large single will likely be pretty smoky on the street.

I thought the same thing. The guy selling the truck doesn't seem to know much about it. Im thinking the reason the turbo went out is not having enough fuel, hell maybe it was too much. Im not sure. Id like to take another turbo up there for the test drive.he said it will fire up and run, but won't drive.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Yes hx turbos are all older technology and often cheaper. A Borg Warner turbo is the only way to go IMO (s400).

I'm not big turbo expert but a big single will be "doggy" on the street in the cummins application with a likely smoke show. I'd perfer an he351 over an s475 twin set up for street applications.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yes hx turbos are all older technology and often cheaper. A Borg Warner turbo is the only way to go IMO (s400).

I'm not big turbo expert but a big single will be "doggy" on the street in the cummins application with a likely smoke show. I'd perfer an he351 over an s475 twin set up for street applications.

S400 have a t4?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Daily driver. Ocassionally towing, and occasionally on the sled track. Other then that it will be my DD. Ill end up pulling the motor apart and replacing all the gasket and seals and repainting the block. It seems that without the ability to electronically tune a motor you can be clean with big sticks and a big single so I will go with twins once I get a motor in and running good. It currently has a SB DD and the odometer has 200k on it. Still not sure if I am going to get it, but im in the market. I figure im better off buying a complete truck and parting the rest out rather then spending 3000k plus on just a motor.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
S400 have a t4?

It can. T4 or T6.

a HX52 is huge. Someone wanted to play sled puller would be my guess.

Determining what modification is done to the injectors/pump would be the best step in figuring out what turbo to run.

If it's a street truck you can go w/ a 63/68 for good spool and nice power all the way up to a 66/74 which will be a little laggy but nasty up top.

CompD would be a great place for any cummins stuff. they are a good group.. like here.. missing 2 cylinders tho

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
So what should I ask this guy? I mean he has listed the things I would have generally asked about. I am willing to bet he bought the truck like it is, beat the scit out of it, and is now trying to dump it. I could be wrong. I think I am going to ask the guy if he can put me in touch with the builder or something?

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Thats a tough one. It's a gamble buying anything in non running fashion.

I would ask a few questions:

What size is the turbo? Compressor side/ Turbine side
Who built the injectors?
Who built the truck?
Who did the head? Studs? Valve springs made by who? How much protrusion on the o-rings? How many hot retorques?

If he has no idea on turbo size I would really wanna talk to who does.

Same with the head work.

If he can't answer sh!t then your offer price would reflect that. A cummins is a b!tch to talk down b/c you want a good deal on a possible clusterf#ck and there are lots of 17-18 yr old kids that have mommy and daddy money that will throw $$$ at it.

Members online

No members online now.