center support bearing ?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
would that have anything to do with the tcase getting almost burning hot to the touch? where the drive shaft bolts to it anyway!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not sure what to say on that lincolnlocker. Have you checked the fluid in it lately?

Are you sure the vibration isnt related to the tcase? Id get that things fluid changed out and make sure it isnt that causing you grief. When the carrier bearing gets worn it'll thump and vibrate at different speeds.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yup, i just went threw the fluids in both diff's and tcase, all well over due, none of the fluids even smelled like they should. all thin as water and smelled like turpentine.... but thats when i noticed the center support bearing, some of the webbing in the rubber is broke and i can move it up and down bout an inch, pushing it up and pulling it back down that is.... i thought i had tire balance issues but just rotated and balanced those too.... ujoints are new spicers put in two months ago...

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh, man! WHY didn tyou replace that bearing when you did the universals? My truck has 250k and I replaced the ujoints because I knew my carrier bearing was getting bad. Lesson I learned is this: Dont touch the ujoints unless you know they are bad and assume its the carrier bearing if you have driveline vibration.

As for the temperature of the flange on the back of the t-case, I suppose it could get that hot but Im not sure. You'd have to get an actual temp either with an external temp gauge or by hitting that flange with an infrared thermometer. Other than that :shrug:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well.. the end of last summer i had to ujoints go out and i mean almost fall out on there own.... it was a weekend and i was outa state working so i just went to autozone and put all three of there ujoints in the rear drive shaft and then the end of winter i had the front end aligned while i was out in minesota at the ford house and the did some inspection and said the ujoints were sloppy. i even went back there so they could show me and they were... ended up only getting bout 10k out of the autozone lifer's.... but it didn't look bad or move that much then so up until recently with my tire rotation and balance that i needed and thought was my problem i didn't pay attention to it...

TyCorr

Reaction score
ahhhh....yeah cheap ujoints are no good for us.

Well you know what to start checking.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
a comment about the transfercase being hot, hot is a relative term, what you really need to do is use a infared gun to check the temp, 130 degrees is too hot too touch, i would imagine that at highway speeds on a hot day the transfercase could be as hot as 200 degrees

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ty, your rite.... makes sense dzchey.... tom, the ujoints are good.... no slop or even hot to the touch like the caps get when there messed up... thanks for the input guys!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
a comment about the transfercase being hot, hot is a relative term, what you really need to do is use a infared gun to check the temp, 130 degrees is too hot too touch, i would imagine that at highway speeds on a hot day the transfercase could be as hot as 200 degrees

Thats kinda what I was gettin at Deez...I think it'd be safe to say that thing should be hot after operation. Do you guys think the more power the truck makes the hotter that tcase would be? It makes sense to me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I must admit, I did pull a bonehead move when I did mine back in April, well two bonehead moves. First bonehead move, taking the driveshaft to a shop because they had a press. Second, I used Neapco Gold ujoints to replace the spicers. Im not sure how they'll last but they are NOT spicers. I shouldnt have taken the sucker to a shop either cuz they didnt even try the press they torched out the trunions and then beat the caps out. Live and Learn...sucky thing is I have a wobble from about 50-57..then smooth again.

Tom S

Reaction score
A good driveshaft shop is pretty cool in how they can true up a shaft that is tweaked by heating and cooling it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Not too bad. The yoke will break and you won't be moving anywhere, so no shaking.

Not true! I've had them rip out the rubber and bounce around sounding like Armageddon under the truck. I wrapped the bearing in duct tape until it fit back in the bracket and ran it for 2 weeks till I got another one. I have pics somewhere.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was gettin at Deez...I think it'd be safe to say that thing should be hot after operation. Do you guys think the more power the truck makes the hotter that tcase would be? It makes sense to me.

When my rear u-joint went out and were humming real bad, I thought the xfer case was toast. When I put my hand on it, I couldn't hold it there.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not true! I've had them rip out the rubber and bounce around sounding like Armageddon under the truck. I wrapped the bearing in duct tape until it fit back in the bracket and ran it for 2 weeks till I got another one. I have pics somewhere.

That's awesome! Duct tape, crescent wrench, and channel locks can dam near fix the world.

Latest posts

Members online