Roller Rockers?

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
For the guys that do engine builds and high hp mods all the time, i want to have your thoughts on what you think about roller rockers from harland sharp? Are they a good investment? Do they make any difference? Has anybody even tried them?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Talkin with Jason about them, I don't think he recommends DD'ing on them. Unless you like adjusting the valves once a month.

As far as performance, I haven't heard very many 7.3's sound as clean at 4000+ RPM's as his old red truck did in his vids.

Maybe Jim Leggs truck, but I have no clue what's done to that engine.

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
Im not really planning on spinning the motor that fast. Im just looking every place i can to free up friction. Less friction= more hp. Do you think the valves would need be adjusted often if the enigne was just used for mild street use? say 500hp

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
It's the design of the rocker itself that will wear and mandate the constant valve adjustments. If you drive it alot on roller rockers, you'll need to adjust them. A lighter spring might slow the rate of wear, but factory rockers would probably suffice on the variety of lighter springs available.

And your choice of valve spring is going to have much more to do with the amount of friction than the rockers.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Lots of variables, but there are a ton of people running Comp 910 springs at those boost levels with no apparent issues.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Why would you need to keep adjusting the valves on a hydraulic system?

:doh:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm awake when I post.

Obviously hydraulic lifters would take most of what I just said right out of the equation.

I'd have to ask why you need roller rockers, but can still get by on hydraulic lifters though... Be like doin half a cummins conversion.

Maybe that's why it didn't cross my mind.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Why are we talking about roller rockers when the OP said he wanted to run 30-40# boost with a set of twins...

I think maybe we need to address that first...LOL

genie144

Reaction score
Lots of variables, but there are a ton of people running Comp 910 springs at those boost levels with no apparent issues.
I have had my 910s to ~40-50psi... Everything I had read is that they are good to go as long as they are properly shimmed. You can call Swamps (or probably most site sponsors) about what shims you need.

Sam

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
The rockers are a nice piece. We have an old set, and they definety help if you are looking to help make power at higher RPM. However, I would not recommend them for daily driving. That is not what they were designed for.

FWIW, I don't think you can buy them from Harland Sharp. They do the work , but Wipe Out Enterprises is the reseller as far as I know.

Also, the redesigned rockers kick ass over the old design that we have.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The rockers are a nice piece. We have an old set, and they definety help if you are looking to help make power at higher RPM. However, I would not recommend them for daily driving. That is not what they were designed for.

FWIW, I don't think you can buy them from Harland Sharp. They do the work , but Wipe Out Enterprises is the reseller as far as I know.

:stupid:

Also I do not know of anyone that has went to roller rockers on these engines and actually kept the hydraulic lifters - If you're keeping the lifters then the only benefit to a rocker swap would be a change in ratio - and there are FAR cheaper ways of doing that than going with full machined billet pieces with roller tips....

RoadWarrior

Reaction score

why would you not recommend them? i dont really see the deference in street running and 4500rpm. just wondering

Latest posts

Members online