Early 99 no start

caladash

Reaction score
Buddies truck was running fine. Parked for a few hours now no start. Changed the fuel and air filters as well as the cps. Still no start. No tack while trying to start. Fuse number 10 under the hood was blown and replaced. No joy. Oil reservoir is good and fuel in the bowl. Scanned codes with an sct and got P1670 EF signal not detected....Any ideas on this code? Putting it on the gooseneck in the morning. Any ideas on what to look at when I get there? I have an idea but Im keeping my mouth shut!!

Arisley

Reaction score
Check out the PCM fuse and relay.
Heres is a owners manual in case you don't have one.

Attachments

• 1999 owners manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I just played online with the code you provided a bit. One was fixed with a IDM swap. Another was a wiring issue. Just take that code and put it in google for a few ideas.

Arisley

Reaction score
EF feedback, is that not the feedback loop from the IDM to the PCM. Check IDM, fuse and relay.

Fuel heater and IDM share a fuse. If it is blown unplug the fuel heater before replacing fuse. Truck will run fine without a fuel heater, it is there for the sole purpose of blowing fuses, thus making people call the dealer.

Tom S

Reaction score
What I skimmed over made is sound like a communications code.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, it is the reference signal that the IDM sends back to the PCM. EF = Electronic feedback, it is just telling the PCM that it told the injectors to fire, the truck will run fine without it, the PCM just sets a code for it, but assumes it is working.

I remember that from the IDM thread that Charles had. If the IDM is not working, it would for sure set that code.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Truck will run fine without a fuel heater, it is there for the sole purpose of blowing fuses, thus making people call the dealer.

Agreed. I ran my OBS without one and it started fine all winter long up here at 9000ft, and I dont plug my trucks in until it gets below zero. As long as you run a good winter additive, which you should anyway, you don't need it.

BTW, I once had a service manager at the old Elway Ford by the name of John Clute tell me our trucks don't have a fuel heater. Same guy colluded with the hack mechanic and sent me back out with a cracked front cover without telling me after the mechanic broke it replacing the oil cooler. By the time I figured it out my gooseneck had 18K lbs on it annd I needed to get up the mountain. They blew me off with a couple gallons of coolant and "oh those crack all the time." Cost me a motor.

Anyway, back to the problem, is fuse 10 the fuel heater fuse on the SD? it was 32 on the OBS. The OP said 10 was replaced, did they check it again after trying to start it?

02BigD

Reaction score
Yes, they looked over the fuses again after trying to start it. They said all were fine. They did charge 1 battery overnight, but that still doesn't explain off the lack of tach.

I met them about 1 hour ago to give Dan his AE cord. Should have more info the next couple of hours.

caladash

Reaction score
Ok....hooked up AE and ran a buzz test. Injectors buzz but got the 1670 again. Ran a KOEOand got P0605 and a P1668. Just ran another buzz and no sound just got a P1668.
Cleared codes and scanned again, the only one to come back was B1352 and battery low voltage. Fuses are still good. Gonna charge them individually and try again later.

Latest posts

Members online