Switching cabs I have questions

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Hey everyone so lets start with some info. I have a 2006 f350 cc with the xlt trim. I have the chance to buy a whole donor Harley f350 2007, guy threw a rod and doesn't want to fix it. Know my truck has been great to me for reliability and such so my question is will I be able to swap cab? I was thinking lifting it just like you would for doing studs and then setting it back down on my truck. I am curious if everything will be there in the truck to make such things as the auto climate and all the other powered things that's inside the Harley that isn't inside of mine work properly. I am assuming everything is contained in the cab its self so I am hoping it will just be a plug and play so to speak. Then. My plan is while the cab is off the old donor truck repairmthe motor drop my cab back onto it and sell it off or convert it to a dually to use as a tow pig. Am I out of line here? Thanks everyone

OBS F350

Reaction score
If it were me I would just swap motors if yours has substantial mods. If yours is relatively stock I would buy a used 6.0, do studs, deletes etc. and put it in the harley and then sell your 06. Swapping cabs would be a waste of time IMO for something as simple as a motor swap.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Wouldn't it actually be easier to swap cabs, then motors? I mean you would probably remove the cab to swap the motor anyways wouldn't you? But that is an option. I was just thinking if everything is there to make it work it would be easier this way.

Zmann

Reaction score
I'd worry about VIN issues

DBL check I know a lot of Frames have a Vin ID

OBS F350

Reaction score
Wouldn't it actually be easier to swap cabs, then motors? I mean you would probably remove the cab to swap the motor anyways wouldn't you? But that is an option. I was just thinking if everything is there to make it work it would be easier this way.

Would it be easier to swap cabs? Probably, but if they both have clean bodies and one just needs a motor, why mismatch 2 trucks just to have harley interior when you could easily have 2 running trucks and sell one or build one? If money isn't a huge issue to you and you enjoy diesel trucks build one into a pulling truck or something. If not sell it and under the right circumstances you could either make money off this whole deal or at least re coupe most of it on top of upgrading to a harley truck.

EDIT** and as stated before you don't have to pull the cab for a motor swap. Whatever you end up doing keep us updated and good luck with the project, if you can make out pretty good on it definitely sounds worth it!

Sicksoh

Reaction score
That is true never thought of the vin issues. I suppose there would be legal crap with licensing and such.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
The thing is I want this my truck now to heave its drivetrain and frame been awesome truck had it since new. I want to put the Harley interior inside it but I also want to have the auto climate control which it doesn't currently have. I don't think the gates and such are installed In the ducting to control the unit. Also the power rear slider, power pedals, steering wheels controls would all be awesome to have so that's why I was wanting to go this route. I realize when I say I want to keep my truck that swapping cabs is taking over half the truck but there is still sentimental value there knowing that is is still the original heart and insides. And just looking to do something a little different. If anyone can tell me different with the climate control if the gates are I. There of not I would just swap stuff over.

OBS F350

Reaction score
The thing is I want this my truck now to heave its drivetrain and frame been awesome truck had it since new. I want to put the Harley interior inside it but I also want to have the auto climate control which it doesn't currently have. I don't think the gates and such are installed In the ducting to control the unit. Also the power rear slider, power pedals, steering wheels controls would all be awesome to have so that's why I was wanting to go this route. I realize when I say I want to keep my truck that swapping cabs is taking over half the truck but there is still sentimental value there knowing that is is still the original heart and insides. And just looking to do something a little different. If anyone can tell me different with the climate control if the gates are I. There of not I would just swap stuff over.

Understandable, what mods do you have done to your current truck? Like I said if you have put alot into your current motor/trans already swap that over to the HD and build a motor for your current truck or just put a used one in.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
No don't have anything done except egr delete, head studs, updated oil cooler and a few little odds and ends with programming. trans is still the stocker so it's not that I have a pile of money into this truck which is the beauty of it.

Zmann

Reaction score
well the cabs have at least 2 vins ( sometimes they locate them in places that are hard to access ) and one you would have to pull the wind sheild to get to

IDK about swapping those around many use special tamper evident fasteners and such

good luck either way

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Ya I don't want to get into doing something that would criminal lol. There must be something a guy can do about that I seen rollovers and people put a new cab on so that would kinda be the same situation.