sell my OBS for a 6.4???

mattymx

Reaction score
The wife and I have been talking about this for a while now. We love my truck. It's an amazing vehicle that has never let us down. My wife mentioned that maybe we should down size a little by selling my truck and her Expedition and get a new truck... Well we can't afford a new 6.7 so it would need to be a 6.4. Maybe find a nice low mileage 09 or 10 for a fair price.

I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to the 6.4 as I know almost nothing compared to the 7.3. What can you all tell me about what to look for and what to keep in mind as far as mods go. I have only driven one 6.4 and that was Godzilla. Mike let me drive it when it had the developmental 310 tune in it. I think that was the tune....

Anyways... What would you do????

ADub

Reaction score
I have been looking at new rigs as well but mostly 6.0's for my budget. Some 6.4's around Seattle are reasonably prices but it is hard to touch anything for less then 40k for what you are describing. I saw one yesterday with 73k miles for 30k though. I think region has a lot to do with it though.

JMart

Reaction score
The 6.4 just like its brother the 6.0 can be a toss up. Some people have had great luck with their trucks, some have had plenty of problems. There is a guy on here broncof250444 that says he has replaced more 6.4 motors then 6.0 and 7.3 combined. If you keep them stock you have the regeneration that causes fuel to dilute the oil. Regen coupled with the dpf and they get horrible mileage. My job 3 08 F250 Fx4 with 3.73 gears got 10 mpg, no matter how nice I was to it. If you start to mod the truck you can make a whole lot of power easy, but things break faster under high power. I was tuned with the Spartan at 5k miles. By 20k miles I had the front and rear main seals leaking and I had cracked the water pump. I never ran higher then the 210 tune. I got rid of the truck before it ever hit 25k so I dont know how many more problems I could have had. I know people who have had high pressure fuel pumps, and injectors go bad destroying the whole engine. And like the 6.0's they can have head gasket and egr issues to. But like I said not all of them are bad.

I sold my 08 so I could afford to go back to school. I picked up the reliable 7.3 to drive around in the mean time.

In my personal opinion, which means absolutely nothing, if you cant afford to pick up a 6.7, you probably cant afford to replace a major issue in a 6.4. If you do decide to go with a new truck, you might want to keep the obs just in case.

mattymx

Reaction score
The price difference between a new 6.7 and a 2010 is a good 20K and I would get a warranty with it as well. I'm just in the thinking stages right now and trying to see if it would be a good idea to look into it.

mattymx

Reaction score
I have one I'm really thinking about. Does Anyone around here have the access to look up the OASIS??? VIN is 1FTSW2BR3AEA49972

David S.

Reaction score
what kind of 6.4 you looking for? I'd say go for the 6.4, but I'm biased

mattymx

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 09 or 10 F250. 4x4, short bed, lariat nicely equiped. The VIN I posted above is not a Lariat, but sure would work well.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If you buy a 6.4 delete the dpf, do at least egr blockers, and put a mild tune (200) hp, it will be very reliable, wont be asking much of the transmission and other components

mattymx

Reaction score
If you buy a 6.4 delete the dpf, do at least egr blockers, and put a mild tune (200) hp, it will be very reliable, wont be asking much of the transmission and other components

That is exactly what I plan on doing if I get one. They get crap MPG with the DPF from what I hear. I've heard of people almost doubling their fuel mileage after the delete/tune. I'm not looking to build the next Godzilla, just a nice DD so a mild tune like you mentioned and the delete would be great. Just wondering about smogging the thing. I can always return it to stock I guess. Maybe I should call BigR and see what he does.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That is exactly what I plan on doing if I get one. They get crap MPG with the DPF from what I hear. I've heard of people almost doubling their fuel mileage after the delete/tune. I'm not looking to build the next Godzilla, just a nice DD so a mild tune like you mentioned and the delete would be great. Just wondering about smogging the thing. I can always return it to stock I guess. Maybe I should call BigR and see what he does.

find someone to smog it LOL

If you do blocker plates you can return to stock easy

mattymx

Reaction score
It will be my wifes daily driver. I have a 26ft toy hauler that we will tow from time to time, but not that often. It weighs about 8k.

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
Somthing you might consider is propane. On my e99 7.3 i have a propane kit called a powershot 2000 with a 35 gallon tank in my tool box and it spews alittle in the air box witch i can turn on and off with a rocker switch in the cab. (ats sells the whole kit with tank and all for like 800$ i think) But im about to put the kit on my dads 08 6.4. and what it does is it adds about 100hp and up to 2 or 3 mpg depending on how you drive. No smoke or anything when you run it. I havnt had it smog tested yet but it will wake that truck up when i turn it on and i cant get it to smoke no matter how hard i get on it.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Ive never heard of anyone running propane on the 6.4. I thought it was pretty much a thing of the past in regards to diesel performance.

Im anxious to hear your results.

mattymx

Reaction score
You wouldn't catch me ever running propane on my truck. First of all it is consumable and the miniscule mpg gains associated with it are not going to off set the costs. On top of that it causes major detonation and the failures I have seen due to its use is staggering. I bet you have cracked pistons and don't even know it.

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
The "staggering" results that you have seen are people that turn it up too high. propane is not like nitrous were the more u put in the more you get out. You run a 2psi spew and all it does is completely burns the diesel in the cylinder. It helps get the most out of your fuel burn instead of pushing 30% of it out the exhaust pipe (aka black smoke) and gets better mpg and some hp. Only drawback is it raises your EGT temps cuz propane burns real hot. And as a matter of fact i just rebuilt my 7.3 with 340,000 miles on it and i put the same pistons back into it. still had the cross hatchings in it.

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
Ive never heard of anyone running propane on the 6.4. I thought it was pretty much a thing of the past in regards to diesel performance.

Im anxious to hear your results.

I dont know of anybody that has done it yet but i plan on doing it. I want to see how the truck will run. When i get to it i am going to do a thread on it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.