Audio guru's..critique please

thuglike

Reaction score
So I just got an 08 crew cab.

Here is the planned build.

Head unit................Kenwood KVT-516

Front door speakers..JL C3-650 6.5 Components

Rears.....................JL C2-570X 5x7/6x8 2-ways

Amp.......................JL HD 600-4 (should I get a 5 channel amp and add the subs to it?)

Subs will come later dual JL's in a behind the rear seat enclosure

Looking for some critique or suggestions from anyone with experience with any or all of these particular products.

Even suggestions to go another route

Thanks in advance.

jdc753

Reaction score
Gear looks solid Jason, pretty much when it comes to audio gear you get what you pay for. Those components look solid, rear speakers don't matter all that much, so what you got there is good enough, no need to spend big money there so oval coaxials are fine.

That amp puts out quite a bit of power, 150wX4, the components look to be rated at 75w RMS, but then they recommend RMS of 25-150w which is a pretty large range. I would think 100w per side would be solid, just need to keep the gain a little conservative on the amplifier and pay attention to it when tuning. Basically think of a hot/overfueled truck and how you watch EGT's, in this case you listen for over stressing the speakers, audible breakup, machanical limits (speaker cone bottoming out) or smelling glue from the speakers. Personally I think the amp is a little expensive, but part of that price premium is for the super small footprint, and for the variable resistance, the amp puts out its 150wX4 at a range of resistances 1.5ohm to 4ohm.

You could get the 5-channel, but that will lock you in on your sub choice, or will affect the sub selection, nothing bad, but just when you are selecting the 5-channel amp, do your sub selection at the same time to keep everything in order.

Everything should mount in pretty straight forward, really only questionable piece will be where to put the tweeters. From what I understand, you want to keep them within 6" of the mids to avoid any audible seperation issues, this leaves you with either mounted coaxially on the mid, or on the door car somewhere, both in my opinion are less than desirable. Next 2 options are in the sail panels, or on the a-pillar. From what I have seen with competition setups the a-pillars wins, sail panels are generally for when the tweeter needs aiming at the driving (on axis response vs off axis response) However with putting the tweeter in the a-pillar or in the sail panel you will get audible signal separation, where the mid frequencies will arrive to your ear sooner than the high frequencies.

thuglike

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight..I knew you would be along soon

I was thinking that sub was a little much for the speakers. I may go down to the 400-4. That one is 100x4.

The tweets on those jl's can actually mount right on the mid-woofer..nice feature

I was told the rears were kinda in a dead zone so not to spend big money on them.. that's why I went with the simple 6x8 2-way co's

How are clarion head units..I'm torn between this in dash pop out monitor and the clarion double din

thuglike

Reaction score
yeah..I think the amp is gonna be the xd 400-4

may go to the clarion nx702 double din as well

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
Yes, the tweeters can, what it does is replace the phase plug in the center of the mid, 90% of people won't notice this change but it does affect the sonics of the speaker slightly. Baiscally it is how the sound waves flow out from the speaker, the phase plug helps to keep everything spread evenly, where as the tweeter mounted in the center will disrupt the flow of the waves. For 99% of people it is probable splitting hairs, but thats the nitty gritty on what is going on with that.

With the power of that amp, it can be nice, but honestly 100w is probably capable of melting the glue on those speakers if used correctly. Ultimately what you want to watch out for is clipping of the amplifier. It is safer to overpower a speaker than it is to push an underpowered amplifier beyond it's limits.

The rear speakers are actually quite low on power handling ratings, 60w RMS and 100w peak, for this just keep the gain on the amplifier conservative to pull back some power.

Like you said the rear speakers are in a deadspace, basically they fire directly into the sides of the seat back with very little room. For me, ditched the rear speakers altogether and have never looked back, only time I have found a need for the rears is for when movies are playing and with rear passengers, otherwise for music there is no need. However that is ultimately personal preference, and some enjoy some rear fill.

I figured the Kenwood was something you already had from the old truck, I checked into it's specs and it actually looked pretty good audio wise.

Clarion has always been solid products, just never really had the big following they know how to produce top notch gear, I just have never personally used any of their products, I wonder if they are a little clunky to use and that's why not many run them, but as a brand I wouldn't have any objection to a Clarion product.

I think you would be happier with a double din instead of the flipout screen as well, just a more solid feel, and cleaner installation, especially in a truck designed with a double din opening from the factory. For audio controls they seem to be pretty evenly matched, also for audio/video output they seem even too. After that it mostly comes down to personal preference in asthetics and how you like the menu layouts and other features like GPS or iPod features.

My boy Josh knows what's yp^^

Thanks buddy!

thuglike

Reaction score
Thanks Josh.

I like the little bit of back fill..so what the hell

I'll stay witht he 400-4 and be sure to spend the extra time and dial it in.

Tweets will go in the door up and to the right of the mid.

Gonna see what kenwood has for double dins

jdc753

Reaction score
That should work out quite nicely for ya. When you get to the sub selection point let me know and we can work through it, or any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or in PM, I just enjoy talking this stuff lol

thuglike

Reaction score
So here is my gear:

Kenwood KVT-516

Front speakers: JL Audio c5-650
Rear speakers: JL Audio c2-570x.....both 75w @ 4 ohm

AMP...JL Audio 300/4v2...should match perfectly according to specs.

Sub enclosure....single 13" in back of rear seat on the passanger side (built by spl2k) Mike can do it faster and cheaper than I can.

Sub: JL Audio 13TW5-3
Amp:JL Audio 600/1v3

Total cost = 2200.00

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
So here is my gear:

Kenwood KVT-516

Front speakers: JL Audio c5-650
Rear speakers: JL Audio c2-570x.....both 75w @ 4 ohm

AMP...JL Audio 300/4v2...should match perfectly according to specs.

Sub enclosure....single 13" in back of rear seat on the passanger side (built by spl2k) Mike can do it faster and cheaper than I can.

Sub: JL Audio 13TW5-3
Amp:JL Audio 600/1v3

Total cost = 2200.00

Should sound great, I would help ya out with the installation in trade for a left behind cooler, but you're a little far away. However I would love to listen to it at Englishtown this year.

Jason that truck already has a nasty sound system , you'll see ! :D

Oh!! What's it got? sorry but I get excited over this stuff lol

Rupp250

Reaction score
That is a very nice parts list. Just throwing an option out there. Have you thought of holding off on buying the 600/1 and just running the 4ch with the 1/2ch running the fronts. Then bridgeing the 3/4 and run the sub off of that. With the rears you can just run them off the deck for the rear fill.

Just an option, later on if you think you need a stronger sub stage you could put the 600/1 on it.

thuglike

Reaction score
That is a very nice parts list. Just throwing an option out there. Have you thought of holding off on buying the 600/1 and just running the 4ch with the 1/2ch running the fronts. Then bridgeing the 3/4 and run the sub off of that. With the rears you can just run them off the deck for the rear fill.

Just an option, later on if you think you need a stronger sub stage you could put the 600/1 on it.

Yes I though about just running the rears off the deck. After reading and talking to a few JL Audio guys they assured me this is what I want to do. It was a process of mating the speakers to the amp perfectly. Likewise with the sub. I did however consider what you suggested. I appreciate your insight.

thuglike

Reaction score
Come to think of it I have an old kicker 600/4...wonder if I bridge that for the sub....hmmmm

I just like having the sub run off it's own amp.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Selection looks great. I don't ever really see anyone needing more than 50 watts rms to door speakers unless you compete. I would not go with a 5 channel. Are you installing all this yourself?

Latest posts

Members online