Help Needed!!

HOSS-06

Reaction score
Okay guys so it is time for me to make the decision. 6.7 Cummins or 6.0

Background,
2006 F350 CCSB, 160k miles. The only thing done engine wise is AFE intake, MBRP Turbo back, and a PPE programmer. Not interested in selling the truck and buying a new one, have to much tied up in this one. Wanting around 700 HP as a daily driver. Do not tow every day but need to be able to when I need to. Wanting a very reliable setup, that I can put miles on over the years!

The Decision
I have a 2008 Cummins 6.7 with 23k miles on it sitting on a shelf. What should I do, swap the Cummins or take that money to build up my 6.0 .
If I keep the 6.0 then please some experienced 6.0 builders chime in.

Let it begin!!

521turbo

Reaction score
You will have alot more into putting that cummins in there, than building the 6.0 and it is a pain in the a$$ getting the trans to work like it should.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
With the horsepower goal that you are talking about, and being able to tow with the truck, you will have about the dame amount of cash stick into the Cummins or the 6.0 to get to that level (turbos, injectors, fuel system, studs, tuning, etc.). Since the stock 6.0 bottom end is strong enough to handle that kind of power, it will be much cheaper and easier to hit that goal with the 6.0 than with the Cummins swap. JMO.

harrisford

Reaction score
Sell the 6.7 and the 6.0 and buy a 5.9. I love my 6.0 but if I ever blow the motor, its getting a 5.9 because of the reliability and cheap power to be made from that motor, while still keeping economy in check. IMO the 6.7 cummins is junk compared to the 5.9

HOSS-06

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who has chimed in, I like the feedback so far. But there been a ton of people look at the thread and only 5 comments.
Keep them coming please!!

HOSS-06

Reaction score
With the horsepower goal that you are talking about, and being able to tow with the truck, you will have about the dame amount of cash stick into the Cummins or the 6.0 to get to that level (turbos, injectors, fuel system, studs, tuning, etc.). Since the stock 6.0 bottom end is strong enough to handle that kind of power, it will be much cheaper and easier to hit that goal with the 6.0 than with the Cummins swap. JMO.

With a 6.0 at 160k miles, is it getting high to do a lot of power upgrades to? If I keep it should I do a rebuild on it while apart for upgrades. Bottom end bearings ext. . .

TooMuch03

Reaction score
If you want, I guess. The bottom ends are pretty stout. If you are going to pull the engine to do studs, then it wouldn't hurt.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Keep the 6.0. Add the best reliability parts for the 6.0 and be done. IE studs, egr delete, a good fuel system, Injectors, and depending what you do with the truck compounds or a good sized single.

Ditch the PPE as stated go with an SCT programmer. The cummins will be a little easier to make power with, but it seems like swaps always have their share of headaches.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Keep the 6.0.

Studs, delete, fuel system, 63/80 compounds, 225 injectors, a way to monitor vitals such as ect, eot, egt

Should put you close to where you wanna be.

Project20v

Reaction score
If you have the Cummins, put it in. I love mine and don't regret the cost one bit.

Whatever to the 6.7 vs 5.9 debate.

The little things like noise, vibration and smoke are much better with the Cummins if you are in to that. The 6.0 is a hell of a rattle box, I can't stand driving it, it's so freaking noisy especially starting and warming.

The low end of the Cummins can tear the guts out of the 6.0. JMO.

HOSS-06

Reaction score
Keep the 6.0.

Studs, delete, fuel system, 63/80 compounds, 225 injectors, a way to monitor vitals such as ect, eot, egt

Should put you close to where you wanna be.

Hey thanks for the input, all the others who chimed in as well.
I've decided to stick with the 6.0 as it is in the truck already and just feel in the end it will be less headaches. So now time for me to figure out what configuration of parts to use,
Whats the Opinion on 160k miles, should I take the time now to rebuild it before the power?

Latest posts

Members online