Is a 1"- 1 1/2" body lift too much to ask?

TyCorr

Reaction score
1" isnt worth it,imo. 2" isnt too bad. It wont look lifted either.

As for an inch, go to a fab shop and have them cut you chunks of round stock an inch thick and go to work.

You dont see kits that size because they arent worth enough to even market.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have thought about making a 1" body lift for some time. If I ever flat bed my truck it will happen.

All I need for all the room in the world is 1" of clearance by the down pipe (my own fault when building the down pipe.)

TyCorr

Reaction score
Aaaaand thats the key. If you want something sometimes you have to make it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I think 1" would make a huge difference, especially for a wastegate on the exhaust housing and the piping etc.

I agree! Im not arguing the merits of such. I just think the market appeal is small. If you could make one and show its virtues you could make some $$$ round here the way it sounds.

TyCorr

Reaction score
GTFO. Use steel or aluminum. Do not use a friggin hockey puck.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I used 1" aluminum bar stock for the bed and then put steel bands around hockey pucks with large washers on top and bottom for the cab. That way there is no worry about the pucks cracking and falling out, yet I am able to maintain a certain amount of cushion for the cab. I have been watching these pucks like a hawk (even have pulled them completely off twice) and have had no issues with cracking or distorsion yet

TyCorr

Reaction score
THat sounds fun. Having to tear the cab off 'every once in a while' to make sure the hockey pucks are still there. Theres a reason bl's use aluminum blocking.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Air ratchet and six bolts, takes about 15 min, not a bad price to pay for a little piece of mind (that and when people ask me about my truck or a 1" body lift in general, I can say with complete confidence that I have not encountered any problems). The added cushion has also proven itself nice on the trail.

Hate on...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not hate I just hope you realize theres a reason body lift bushings dont look like hockey pucks at all. You'd be farther ahead to get al or ss and make bushings. You said, sowoco, that you used 1" tubing for the bed? Is a hockey puck 1" also? How'd you lift the front end?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I have a 69 J2000 Gladiator stepside that has had a 1" hockey puck lift since 1989. Its been wheeling all over Colorado for pleasure and hunting and driven daily at times through extreme winters. I think one is missing from the bed, but thats because the bolt fell out.

That said if I have to make a 1" body lift for the SD it will be something solid.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Look at you factory mount.. Then look at and compare a hocky puck to them..

The hocky puck is stronger then the factory mount.. AND look at the body lift kits you can buy. The hocky pucks make them look cheap. I kid you not..

With this I rest my case.. Go with what ever works for you and last. AND makes you happy.

But for the ones that say it does not work, Maybe you should do it before you go and shoot it down..

chappy

Reaction score
I have used hockey pucks for my offroad trucks before but never on something I drive on the street.

Snake

Reaction score
Look at you factory mount.. Then look at and compare a hocky puck to them..

The hocky puck is stronger then the factory mount.. AND look at the body lift kits you can buy. The hocky pucks make them look cheap. I kid you not..

With this I rest my case.. Go with what ever works for you and last. AND makes you happy.

But for the ones that say it does not work, Maybe you should do it before you go and shoot it down..

Convince me that pucks are stronger.

Zinc plated bolts look almost identical to Grade 8 bolts. But it would be unwise to use them instead.

And people wonder why the aftermarket / modded trucks are under so much scrutiny.

Last edited: