Old School Subs

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
We cleaned out the firehouse tonight and in a workroom a past member left two 12" Sony Xplod subs rated for 800w each( :D ). What little Googling I have done came up with low level subs and being round and not square/oval they are old.. Whatever I do besides maintence to my truck is low dollar. The guys were gonna throw them out and for the low price of free, they're mine. I figured I would try to get them hooked up with my HU and speakers, buy an amp and build a box to try and get them to fit behind my bench seat in my reg cab lol.

Upon a closer look each one has one hairline crack in the plastic(pic attatched, Googling it looks like its somewhat common if a problem?).. Can this be fixed or even bandaged for now until I can get some newer subs?

Also, they sat magnet down on the floor for years so there are some metal shavings stuck to it. Is this no big deal or should I try to pull them all off?

Is there a way to bench test these? Or should I just find a buddy with subs and switch them out one by one to see if they work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
haha5a5e.jpg

Just the plastic broke, the rubber is still in really good shape.

eza2ahu4.jpg

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Shoegoo. Its a glue in a tube for patching holes in shoes and boots. It also works great on cracked subs. I had a 10inch xplode just like them back in highschool. And it lasted for 3 or 4 years cracked with shoegoo. Until i gave it to some kid at a yard sale.

sent while looking at my sled. since theres no freeeeking snow!!!!!

MAC

Reaction score
Kids these days! :doh:

Go to Wally World, they're probably still selling those exact same subs.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Sorry, but I do have to laugh at Sony xPlode subs being called "old school". Probably showing my age...

Sorry :D

Shoegoo. Its a glue in a tube for patching holes in shoes and boots. It also works great on cracked subs. I had a 10inch xplode just like them back in highschool. And it lasted for 3 or 4 years cracked with shoegoo. Until i gave it to some kid at a yard sale.

sent while looking at my sled. since theres no freeeeking snow!!!!!

Ill give this a shot. Can't hurt...

Kids these days! :doh:

Go to Wally World, they're probably still selling those exact same subs.

:flipa:

jdc753

Reaction score
Damn youngins!!!! I remember when Xplod was a new line... :doh:

LOL

ok, now back on track... Free is the right price, wipe off the metal shavings from the magnets and just clean em up. Rated at 800w is totally insane and part of the reason xplod lines suck, that is going to be a peak rating, RMS is probably more around 150w per (confirm with google) then box size something in the 1-1.25ft^3 is probably good but google the specs and it should give you everything you need.

For the crack maybe some gorilla tape or CA glue might work, or the glue mentioned above. Can probably get something from the backside so it doesn't look quite as bad.

now to make this thread title somewhat appropriate...

borderline "old skool"

Round solo barics (good for SQ) predate the square solo's everyone knows and actually a good sub...

dscn11774jo.jpg

CIMG0164.jpg

P8050051-small.jpg

Now for when it comes to Sony and car audio the only stuff worth talking about was the now "old skool" CS line of gear that was out before all the xplod stuff hit the market.

Still a legendary HU, Sony ES C90. Note the copper chassis :drool:
No... it does not do MP3, or hookup to your iPod
DSC04142.jpg

Some of it had Xplod tags in the later years, but notice the gold, and the thing you are looking for is Mobile ES

SonyAmp.jpg

well that was fun!

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
I don't think you will, regular cabs have more room from what I can see.

I had a pair of kicker 10's in my 83 F250 and didn't even have to push my seat forward much. Plus I had a good 2' between the pair of boxes in the middle where I mounted the amp.

Avert your eye's from the random wires, I had just thrown it in there and was making sure it was all good, wires got run under the boxes later on.

325149_18_full.jpg

That setup there was only 150w per side and it hit pretty friggin good, then again it was my first setup and they fired right into your back, but it was pretty solid. Was about 12 years ago too :doh:

If you get me measurements when you are ready I will draft it up in CAD and check your air space and mounting depth for ya.

Last edited:

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I'll get measurements later. I've designed simple things on CAD but had a tough time since I never took a class or actually learned how to use it. I'll shoot you them in a text later. Thanks buddy!

jdc753

Reaction score
No problem!!

If you have access to CAD and would like to learn let me know and I could run you through some basic commands. It really is something you have to use to learn but I could answer any questions you have, at least with 2D drafting. Been running CAD 40+ hours a week for a few years now :doh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.