YET ANOTHER 99 RCSB F250 BUILD

DEECEE

Reaction score
I am about to start building a RCSB but can't find any concrete information on a couple of things that may seem like common sense to some, especially those who have done this project. I bought the truck from CL. $4500 99 4x4 manual f250 RCLB, I have tracked down a fuel tank from a short bed and should be picking it up Saturday. My question is what is the exact measurement for the cut on the frame and also, when I take my shaft to the driveline shop, what do I ask them to cut out of the driveshaft? There may be a thread in existance with this data, but after hours of searching I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. I would just measure the shortbed and cut accordingly, but I haven't found a suitable donor for under 2k at the moment. I will more than likely be shopping at salvage yards soon. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

DEECEE

Reaction score
IMAG0707.jpg

Last edited:

DEECEE

Reaction score
Got the f250 king ranch short bed with tailgate in excellent condition for $400.

Last edited by a moderator:

DEECEE

Reaction score
IMAG0693.jpg

These are factory 17" take offs from an f250 I found on cl. Paid 200 for the set with tires, 60% tread.

Last edited:

DEECEE

Reaction score
I bent the bed a little bit when we cranked the ratchet straps down securing the bed to the small trailer. The reinforcement brackets for the front part of the fender/wheel area were pushed down onto the trailer and it pulled the sheet metal in on both sides, I will probably be able to gently bend them back out after I get the bed onto the truck. No big deal, I'm very happy I was able to get such a good deal on the bed. I can get my measurement that nobody apparently has and do the frame cutting sometime this weekend or next week.

DEECEE

Reaction score
Yes, I'm more worried about aesthetic appearances at the moment, I may do some engine work, but I plan on having the truck makeover complete before I invest in performance. It may be blasphemy to speak it around here, but I was thinking about dropping in a Cummins diesel in assuming I could find either an engine or wrecked out dodge for a reasonable price. Those plans are far in the future though.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Pretty sure that tank won't fit with the 4x4, transfer case gets in the way. I believe an f-150 tank will though.

DEECEE

Reaction score
Pretty sure that tank won't fit with the 4x4, transfer case gets in the way. I believe an f-150 tank will though.
You're right. I tracked down a few tanks, just narrowing down my choices now. It's gotta be a short bed tank, or you can mount a tank in the spare tire area with a few mods. Anyone know if I will have any trouble with an 05 f250 short bed tank? Found one with pump for 200, he's even throwing in a king ranch rear bumper free. :)

907DAVE

Reaction score
The short and long bed tanks are very similar in over all dimensions, but the length is nearly identical.

JMart

Reaction score
Length is the same, width and depth are different between the two tanks. The short bed tank will go almost all the way up to the next cross member. About an inch short iirc.

I cut 16" out of my frame. They cut 17" out of my drive shaft but that was because I had mine lowered and shortened. Probably should have been more but my pinion angle was off when I measured it. Just measure from the end of the Trans to the cup in the U joint after you get it put back together. Give them that length.

Did the tank you find come with a pump or a pick up? There isn't a pump in the tank, but you will have to modify your pickup if you don't get one for a short bed tank.

Lysons

Reaction score
Yes, I'm more worried about aesthetic appearances at the moment, I may do some engine work, but I plan on having the truck makeover complete before I invest in performance. It may be blasphemy to speak it around here, but I was thinking about dropping in a Cummins diesel in assuming I could find either an engine or wrecked out dodge for a reasonable price. Those plans are far in the future though.

I know that price wise, a Cummins sounds great, but maybe try something else?
Maybe try a 6.4 (if you can find a "cheap" one and have the time), a Detroit or International motor?
(I know International makes the PSD, exclude 6.7, just meant OTHER Internationals.)

DEECEE

Reaction score
Length is the same, width and depth are different between the two tanks. The short bed tank will go almost all the way up to the next cross member. About an inch short iirc.

I cut 16" out of my frame. They cut 17" out of my drive shaft but that was because I had mine lowered and shortened. Probably should have been more but my pinion angle was off when I measured it. Just measure from the end of the Trans to the cup in the U joint after you get it put back together. Give them that length.

Did the tank you find come with a pump or a pick up? There isn't a pump in the tank, but you will have to modify your pickup if you don't get one for a short bed tank.

I found three tanks, two are the shortbed f250 tanks one from an 00 and one an 05. The third is an excursion tank that would ideally fit into the spare area. The X tank has only the tank, the other two have pickups and pumps. I think you're right though, the four wheel drive is going to make it a much smaller space. Is there a consensus that it absolutely wont fit?

DEECEE

Reaction score
I went on the premise that the tanks started at the rear of the cab and extended back towards the axle and assumed the sb tank would fit in either application, with a cc or rc. Guess I better crawel under and get some measurements.

DEECEE

Reaction score
You paid $4500 for that?????dear lord.
Not without some inner pain. I had to talk him down from 6500!! Someone lied to him about the value of a 7.3.... I found several cheaper ones but they had auto trans in them, I was convinced I needed a manual, which should have been cheaper to that point. But yes I know she needs a lot of work making her pretty again. The miles are pretty low though. 156k.

Jason

Reaction score
That wasn't meant to be a dick comment btw. I dunno, i scored a very solid clean '00 auto reg cab long bed for $3500. 200k miles, xlt model...no shortbed conversions though lol

907DAVE

Reaction score
Based off my measurements between my two trucks...I don't see how it will ever fit. I was in your exact situation about a year ago, but mine stayed a long bed because of this and a few other reasons. It has been done before using a f-150 tank tank and excursion tank, but the excursion tank will need some extensive frame work to fit and looks terrible, IMO.

Latest posts

Members online