trans cooler leaking - another 4739 or go with a 31 row 6.0

Peroni

Reaction score
Looks like a rock or road debris hit my trans cooler and now it's weeping - just my luck. :doh: I currently have a Tru Cool 4739. In summer I regularly see 140°-150° running empty and 160°-175° towing up to 18K. I can get a new 31 row 6.0 cooler for $40 more than the 4739. Should I go with that or stick with the Tru Cool? I have a Spearco 6.0 intercooler and am wondering if the 31 row would even fit up front?

Tom S

Reaction score
I would put the same cooler back in there in a second. Those look like great temps to me. I always have a piece of black screen in front of my radiator and also the trans cooler in the bumper. Just a little protection for the exchangers and it helps to keep down on the bugs in there as well.

Tom

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
if you have intercooler it will be a tight fit i used an old AC condenser and it always kept it cool but so big it rubbed and got holes now i just got two NAPA 5 row coolers and keeps it 150 drivin everywhere, thinkin about anoher one and some fans is next

Peroni

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I will likely go with another 4739. I made up a template the size of a 31 row and while I could barely make it fit it's more work than I want to do at this time.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I always have a piece of black screen in front of my radiator and also the trans cooler in the bumper. Just a little protection for the exchangers and it helps to keep down on the bugs in there as well.

Tom

Can you put up some pictures of how you did that?

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
Why do you want more cooling for a 150 deg trans?

well when i hook to the gooseneck about two three times a week haulin straw and machinery she dont like the hills in southeren ohioor town to much thats why i am leanin more towards just tring to find some fans

Tom S

Reaction score
I will look for some photos.

So your trans does not run at 150deg towing?

Tom S

Reaction score
Click on the link for photos.
http://coloradodieseltruckclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=506#post506

I have had some discussion on flipping the cooler over to eliminate the possibility of airlock which is the other side of making the cooler a spot to collect debris. I have not had issues so it did not get changed

I use clip nuts on the bumper so it is easy to detach from the bumper and I do not make a mess if the bumper has to come off to work on something.

The screen is wrapped around the cooler and secured with wire ties. It also helps to hide the cooler. I can take another pic if you like. You can see the screen on the intercooler.

Last edited:

Whytry

Reaction score
What are your temps at Tom? I have seen 180* one time sitting in traffic and going between stoplights in 97* weather but normal they are around 150*. I Was thinking about a fan with a manual switch so that in those cases I can cool it.

Tom S

Reaction score
Very normal temps are 75-100 over in warm weather. This is what I see. That is normal and reasonable per many people including a Ford Transmission Engineer and also BTS. I will look for some more information on this for you all.

Tom S

Reaction score
Ford's limits are 220°F all day long with no problems. You can go to 250°F, but don't stay above 220°F for more than 1/2 hour at a time. During testing I've had transmissions as high as 320°F (yes, that says three hundred twenty degrees F.) After testing a tear down showed no damage.

There are the numbers I was looking for.

75-100 over ambient was direct from Brian Thompson.

newman

Reaction score
I have a the same setup in as Tom in my Mom's 97 and the temps get up to 210 on a hot day towing. I think I'm gonna remove the liscense plate and cut another hole to get some more air flow. When it was mounted in front of the condensor(pre 6.0 CAC) the temp never went over 190

Tom S

Reaction score
I have a the same setup in as Tom in my Mom's 97 and the temps get up to 210 on a hot day towing. I think I'm gonna remove the liscense plate and cut another hole to get some more air flow. When it was mounted in front of the condensor(pre 6.0 CAC) the temp never went over 190

Towing at what ambient temps and the usual temp sender in the pressure port? That post by Mark Kovalsky is really from a Ford Engineer who worked on the design team for these transmission.

Just on a sidelight the engine oil temps in my V6 Impala are 230 on the highway on a summer day. I think we sometimes go by out of date information on what is OK for fluid temps.

That cooler behind the bumper is the normal setup for and OBS.

Latest posts

Members online