multiple tuners?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i posted a while back about tuners and everyone said that they loved their tuner. my question revisited, "how many of you have run DIFFERENT turners and found one you thought was best?" dp vs tw vs bd vs gearhead etc

Arisley

Reaction score
I think Joe (CSIPSD) has run just about every tuner out there.

Only one I have ever run was Tony. With him being a friend and a neighbor, I don't see myself running any one elses.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Ive ran Ts tunes, TW, DI, and Beans. Currently have beans tunes. All of the tuners can do the job. Jonathan live tuned my truck so I will be sticking with Beans tunes. :ford:

On more generic tunes ive ran Van aiken and edge.

I will also add that each tuner pretty much was with different injector and turbo combos.

Last edited:

Peroni

Reaction score
I've used 4 different tuners so far. My truck runs best with the BDP tunes, but that was live tuned so can't really compare to the others which never got hands on tuning. I know a couple guys who have programs from multiple tuners on the same chip.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've ran Diesel Innovations, DPTuner, JET programmer, and PHP tunes.

My favorite have been DI and PHP. They're very different tuners though.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Sct, dp tuner, and swamps. So far I like swamps tunes the best. But I miss the dp switch with the led illumination.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Swamps, DI, TS, DP, TW, Elite, Superchips, Edge, Banks...

I have not run Beans, PHP, Gearhead or Tyrant...

I am very happy with my swamps tunes other then the shifting, Really like my old DI tunes and am sending a chip his way in the next day or two.

Chelsea loved Elites on the X, but she loves the DI tunes on there now with the AC's. Needs some of the shift points raised, but thats minor.

I would say buy yourself a TS type chip or three, and go to town.

I want to try my own tuning like Curtis is doing these days, but I have not been able to shoe horn the money aside this year.

Charles

Reaction score
Remember too that the majority of feedback on this subject will be highly subjective in nature, and based largely on pure preference.

You could send someone a beautiful program, and they might HATE it because of some little preference they had for TCC lockup or something. Then another chip comes along with maybe not even as good a program, but that addresses this one little thing the way the guy wants and he's all jacked up and screaming from the mountain about the new program.

This is what I see over and over in people's testimony. The largest amount of passion for a tuner usually boils down to something any tuner could do in 5 seconds if asked. There is so much preference in how an engine/transmission responds that it's nearly impossible for two people to want the same thing. And in the various disparities and idiosyncrasies between two programs people will place all their judgement.

Aside from this... there's the whole issue of people never having any basis for comparison in the first place. Which I believe is the OP's point in making the thread. Too often is it the case that Joe-blow chip promoter that testifies to its being the best thing since sliced bread has never even run anything to compare it to.

The truth is, the best tuner is always you anyway...

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I have also seen where trucks to not react the same way even though the setup are very similar so that adds into it. I have personally run tuning from Bill, Tony, and Jody.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I use Bill's tuning well first off he is less than 2hrs from me and anytime I have a problem he can fix it in person, 2nd while other trucks have "felt" like they make more power But when we line up it's either way closer than expected or I'm out ahead and his is just smooth power.... Since the new engine bill and Cody built for me I haven't really beat on it yet but I made a few pulls on the highway on the way back from picking it up and for having 4.10 gears it will still pull very nicely up top. With just having stage 1s and 38r I couldn't ask for a better running truck... That being said it's possible I could take my truck and have it live tuned by many of the other tuners and be just as pleased. But if you ask me for my opinion it's PHP all day

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
With the setup I have now I've ran dp and gearhead. The gearhead tunes are alot more driver friendly. And I think have more top end. But don't get me wrong the dp makes power I like gearhead better though.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i guess thats what i just want to do it right the first time. i didnt take into account the little things that can make someone hate a certain tune. maybe it would help if i said exactly what i wanted :
#1 a GOOD fuel economy tune, one that really improves the mileage not just says it does.
#2 a transmission friendly tune that firms up shifts(i will have the tc lock switch) i hopefully wont have to put in a built tranny if i can help it and dont want to do anything more to toast it if i can help it.
#3 a tune with the most power both from the line and top end for when i go to the strip
#4 a good towing tune to keep egts in check.
#5 being able to change tune from drivers seat without having to stop and plug in a tuner (like my super chip)

that being said i guess from what you guys are saing it really doesnt matter? they all do almost the exact same and from there its personal preferance?

Whytry

Reaction score
Diablo sport ran ok smoked a lot had low end not as much top fuel was about 14.5 towing shifts were really long and sometimes hard. egts up hill almost 1500
ts matts tunes power everywhere 15.5 to 16.5mpg shifts are perfect no matter what. love recommend it to anyone. egts uphill 1350

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have ran Dptuner and now Tyrant tunes. I loved jodys tunes, he live tuned my truck and truck ran flawlessly. Only thing i didnt like was the touchy pedal, on bumpy roads it was almsot undrivable. Found a cheap TS Chip and thought i would give Cale's tunes a try. Sent it to him and he pretty much nailed it from the get go. His transmission tuning and Jodys transmission tuning are very comparable. Power is almost neck and neck and mileage is about the same also. my last tank on Cale's tunes got me 16.5mpg, so i was pretty happy to see that. Would like to eventually try some different tuners, but right now i am very pleased with Cale's tunes. the touchy pedal is gone also. I recommend both DPTuner and Tyrant. Just depends which way you wan to go as far as chips.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wish this wasn't the internet. I'd love to pass my chips around for everyone to try. I really like being able to run different tuners and feel what they have done different. If anyone wants to try my DI tunes, I'd be willing to let them if they had a decent reputation.

My truck is a 2000 auto. Purty sure basically any DPC-422 truck would be compatible.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Some tuners will send you the tunes and i heard some wont and you need to send the chip into them. Can anyone confirm this?

Thats one reason why i like DP and Tyrant, they will sned u the tunes and i can Burn them onto my chip.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Some tuners will send you the tunes and i heard some wont and you need to send the chip into them. Can anyone confirm this?

Thats one reason why i like DP and Tyrant, they will sned u the tunes and i can Burn them onto my chip.

How ? You have a burner ? Or the whole software and you just dont tune yours.

Id love to have this resource. Its a pain to send a chip back and have the truck down for 6-9 days for small changes.

I ran a DP tuned 80e on my stock engine. Wasnt my cup of tea.

I now run matts tunes. There are a few small changes Id like but the downtime is the hard part.

Im in the midst of ordering up another chip from swamps this weekend. I want DRAG3B !!!!! :evil

If I could I would try as many as I can, Cale, DI, Beans would be on the list.

Anyone know of a tuner on the northwest coast LOL, Id love live tuning without the 20 hr travel.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Yes, i have access to a TS Burner.

We are trying to get Cale up to the Spokane area next sumemr for live tuning if you are interested. Very reasonable pricing too. 400 Miles one way for ya

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online