Rear-end swap questions

Mdub707

Reaction score
My truck came with the stupid open diff rear end 3.73's. I have a chance to put a LS in it from a donor truck. What's the easiest way of going about this? Swap the entire axle over? Or just the rear end or what? I'm mechanically inclined, but I've NEVER opened up a diff cover before and never had the need, but it would be nice to learn what the heck I'm doing in there. Or should I just swap the whole axle setup right over?

Thanks! :morons:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I would just swap axles it would be much faster. There is a lot to know about setting up diffs. Maybe someone that knows more about them can tell you exactly what needs to be done. Would suck to swap internals then not set something right and blow it up

Mdub707

Reaction score
I know when re-gearing and that sort of thing they need to be shimmed, I've just never actually had the need to go ahead and do that. I wouldn't be opposed to learning how to do it, but if it's easier to just swap the whole axle, then so be it!

I have access to an entire rear end sitting under a frame in good shape that I can just straight swap. Is there anything to look for also when doing this? I've got an 08 diff cover and fresh fluids to go on whatever way I go.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Talk to ryan. We have talked about doing our own gears in the mud trucks.

I wont have to worry about gearing or anything if I just straight swap axles though.

Has he ever done a gear swap before? My guess is probably not. I'll talk to him and see what he says though.

John

Reaction score
Just swap the axle over put new dif fluid in it and run it. I wouldnt touch the pinion seal unless you had to since if you do the crush sleeve needs to be replaced. At that point the entire dif is going to need to be checked and possibly readjusted, and at that point you could have just swapped over the guts into your axle. The axle shaft seals can be replaced without having to readjust everything though.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Open diffs suck! Mine handles like crap in the winter. I'll be driving straight on a flat road then al of a sudden my ass end is sideways.