My WMO/WVO Build

Christof13T

Reaction score
so i have been reading... and reading... and reading more on the subject for a solid year now...

i have heard horror stories...

and reports of fantastic results from running waste oils in these trucks.

for the most part... it seems as though the majority of failures (as a result of running waste fuels) typically result from improper filtration at home base...

or improper heating techniques.

some folks have reported catastrophic failures due to attempts at mixing dissimilar oils in the vehicle fuel system...

with what little i have learned from all the reading, and conversations i have had with fellow alternative fuel enthusiasts, i have decided to run waste fuels in my truck. i will be running a 2 tank system onboard. the factory tank will remain a d2/b100 only reservoir. my 91 gal RDS in the bed will serve as my main tank for waste oils.

my intention for the truck is the tried and true TIH method of heating my oil. i will probably also end up using a heat exchanger plate of some sort in the engine bay.

i want to eliminate as many ecv's as i can from the typical wvo/wmo setup.

by using check valves, and seperate fuel pumps for each fuel system... i hope to switch from d2, to wmo/wvo by killing power to one pump... and simply diverting to the other. thus dropping pressure on the d2 side... allowing the oil to enter the system... with cv's at the T where the two systems meet... there is no chance of cross contamination. simple... effective... almost automatic switching.

for the return... my intention is to yet again eliminate some issues...

instead of switching my return from one tank to the other...
im going to eliminate the return to the wmo/wvo tank... and T it into the wmo/wvo pump feed from the tank. should keep the oil hotter and save heat by not dumping it all back into the oil tank.

so thats a little bit about the setup intended for Motorbug...

this is the progress on my base station so far:

foundation
IMG_20130315_114601.jpg

measuring out some plumbing, and getting a measurement for 2nd level support height.
IMG_20130315_111850.jpg

2nd level supports cut and ready to go in place.
IMG_20130315_114601.jpg

2nd level in place.
IMG_20130315_125924.jpg

Plumbing it in. if physics isnt your strong suit... the idea here is to fill this system with raw waste oil at the big pipe at the very bottom. when the 1st barrel is full... as more oil is added... pressure will raise oil into the 2nd barrel. the idea is... water, and most solid contaminants will stay in the lower portion of the 1st barrel.. and good oil will rise to the top barrel.
IMG_20130315_144826.jpg

Another view.
IMG_20130315_144842.jpg

View with the fill tube.
IMG_20130315_144900.jpg

i attempted to try drafting oil from a verticle barrel with various pumps i had laying around... all proved to be utter failures.

an aquarium pump:
IMG_20130315_111956.jpg

a bit larger clear water pump:
IMG_20130315_111911.jpg

a 100 psi diaphragm pump:
IMG_20130315_111918.jpg

and finally i tried the tim the tool man taylor method...
a power steering pump and a 1 1/2hp motor.
IMG_20130315_111902.jpg

i thought the power steering pump was the most promising... but it couldnt provide enough suction on the reservoir side to lift the oil out of the barrel...
i was only in about 20 gallons in a 55 gal plastic drum.

the intent from this point is to have the output from the 2 tier system to flow thru a whole home water type filter and into a reserve tank ready for final filtration. with this method, gravity will do most of the actual work for me. so i should save a little on energy costs running pumps over some people who utilize powered filtration methods only. granted... my method will be more time consuming... but at the rate i currently burn fuel... it well beyond balances out so i stay leagues ahead in fuel costs.

I will update this thread as progress continues.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm not a member over there, but looks good.

I would HIGHLY suggest you pick one fuel and go with it though, I wouldn't go mixing WVO or WMO in the same tank. I also would avoid using B100 in the main tank if you plan on using a 2 tank system, leave it for diesel only. There were a few guys on the vegistroke forums who used to do this (B100 in the main tank, WVO in the veggie tank) and had some issues and I can't remember anyone still doing it.

I think you're on the right track with the two tank setup, though I wonder why you wouldn't run a return on the 2nd system. Seems like it would just over-work the pump a lot without having it.

I ended up constructing a frybrid still system for filtering. It was the simplest and most cost effective for me. I have pics of it kicking around if you're interested. I've not heard good things about the home water filter style filter assemblies. I believe the filters themselves were the issue. I can see them clogging up like nothing. I don't think they filter down very well either do they?

Interesting, and I hope you continue to post here! Even if it not as often as the other forum.

fordman2121

Reaction score
I use the home filtering system filters. Settling tank then through a 2 1 micron filters up to the holding tank. Been doing this for over 5 years and 60,000 miles. I do have some extra bases laying around and going to add a 3rd and 4th to go down to .5 micron for more secruity and run it in my 6.4

nasty6.6

Reaction score
only complaint i have is white smoke on a stock tune but I hope that clears up with an alternative tune from either dp or php.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I use the home filtering system filters. Settling tank then through a 2 1 micron filters up to the holding tank. Been doing this for over 5 years and 60,000 miles. I do have some extra bases laying around and going to add a 3rd and 4th to go down to .5 micron for more secruity and run it in my 6.4

What setup are you using on the truck? Is your 6.4 tuned and deleted? I guess your settling is doing most of your filtering for you? How long do you usually let your oil settle? It passes a water test? It's tough pushing oil down through those filters, and are those home filters absolute rating, or nominal?

A centrifuge is what I really need to get myself. I'm pushing oil through a 5/1 micron absolute bag filter currently, it gets tough.

only complaint i have is white smoke on a stock tune but I hope that clears up with an alternative tune from either dp or php.

What are you running for fuel? Most tuners can add a little injection pressure down low to help burn it all better, but I wouldn't suggest idling a lot on any of the alternative fuels.

nasty6.6

Reaction score
Not trying to steal your thread but itll smoke like that rolling down the highway!
mix 80 wmo 20 rug then mix that with 1/4 to 1/2 tank of diesel.

We are running a centrifuge and filter it down to 2 mic before putting it in the truck. A centrifuge is well worth it givin if the oil is clean when you get it it helps like a dealer we use keeps the diesel oil and gas oil changes seperate and we use the gas oil most of the time its really clean but every now and then we get a really dirty batch and the centrifuge pulls a lot of metal with sludge out of it.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't know anything about that, you wont ever catch me running wmo/gas mix. My WVO will haze a touch at idle, but I try not to let it idle at all on veggie, not good for it. I'm running a heated two tank setup, no matter what I was running I wouldn't be mixing it in the main tank for sure.

Christof13T

Reaction score
My factory tank will remain d2/b100 only.

My 91gal rds will be used for my alt fuels. I wont be mixing wvo/wmo...
I read linus's horror story doing that. I might alternate... wvo in alt tank... then flush with a few gallons of d2... then run the wmo/ diesel mix... then flush... etc... and so on.

In the long run... the 2 upflow systems may get used strictly for wvo... and i can burn the wmo in furnace, forge, boiler, etc...

I need spill containment, then i get to start collecting oil.
Kiddie pools have been suggested...
But i think i might encapsulate the bottom foot and a half or so of the racks with plywood... and seal the crap out of the seams with liquid nails... as long as it will hold long enough for me to pump it back into a barrel.. in case of a catastrophic plumbing break... wouldnt want 110 gallons of oil on the floor... soaking into the ground....

fordman2121

Reaction score
I let it settle for 2 weeks sometimes a month just depends on if I need fuel or not. I beleive the filters are nominal that's why I pass it through 2 of them.
Yes the 6.4 is deleted and running an airdog with a fuel heater so I can run bio in the winter.The 7.3 does haze at idle sometimes real bad if its cold and I put to much oil in. I want to test turning the intake heater on at an idle to see if that helps. Just so busy its hard to get to it.

Christof13T

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track with the two tank setup, though I wonder why you wouldn't run a return on the 2nd system. Seems like it would just over-work the pump a lot without having it.

I will have a return... but i will plumb it into the vo pump feed instead of into the tank. I dont feel the need to heat my whole tank... not too worried about air... going to be building my bowl delete and regulated return manifold in the next couple months.

Mdub707

Reaction score
My factory tank will remain d2/b100 only.

I would reconsider this, especially if you're already running an alt fuel in the second tank, keep this one D2 only. More than one person has had issues with this. Have you been on the BFT forums at all? That's your call and your location will play a role with it too, but it's just my precautionary suggestion, to leave the bio out of the mix.

My 91gal rds will be used for my alt fuels. I wont be mixing wvo/wmo...
I read linus's horror story doing that. I might alternate... wvo in alt tank... then flush with a few gallons of d2... then run the wmo/ diesel mix... then flush... etc... and so on.

I wouldn't even flush and run another one, again, me being overcautious. I would suggest picking one fuel and sticking with it. Way too easy to cross contaminate, but again, your call. What works for one, may not work for another.

In the long run... the 2 upflow systems may get used strictly for wvo... and i can burn the wmo in furnace, forge, boiler, etc...

That would be the way to go. But are you going to have two separate filtration stands? Or are you planning on filtering your WMO in the same setup you filter WVO in?

I need spill containment, then i get to start collecting oil.
Kiddie pools have been suggested...
But i think i might encapsulate the bottom foot and a half or so of the racks with plywood... and seal the crap out of the seams with liquid nails... as long as it will hold long enough for me to pump it back into a barrel.. in case of a catastrophic plumbing break... wouldnt want 110 gallons of oil on the floor... soaking into the ground....

My buddy uses kiddy pools. I've honestly never really used anything. I had one overflow out of my HWH once because I was a fool and wasn't paying attention to the level of it. The way I have it rigged up now, even if it overflows it just dumps back into the main holding tank, really no chance for a spill unless I spill when I'm filling my jugs.

I will have a return... but i will plumb it into the vo pump feed instead of into the tank. I dont feel the need to heat my whole tank... not too worried about air... going to be building my bowl delete and regulated return manifold in the next couple months.

I suppose that would work. You really don't need to heat the whole tank, just the fuel getting sucked up. The RDS heated tanks are already way over designed. I'd make some sort of a simple sump in the tank to keep a warm section of fuel in. Some guys have even used wiffle balls on the end of the pick up line. Knowing what I know now, I want to completely remove my 51 gal RDS tank and build my own.

Christof13T

Reaction score
The 2 upflow racks illustrated in the pictures will be strictly wvo... decided im going to use vertical drums for any wmo stuff and just do minor filtering...

I hooked myars welder back into a breaker yesterday and will be performing some electric liquid metal wizardry today...
I have some break rotors, bearings, pulleys, gears, sheet metal...

I might make me a cf today.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.