goosneck hitch location

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i am fixin on putting a B&W turnover ball hitch in my pickup all i need now is time. its on my 03 shortbed and i am wondering where the best place to put it is? ive always thought over the axle or just a hair in front of axle would be best, now i am wonderin if when jack knifin the trailer will it be to close to the rear window? if i put it to far behind the axle i know its gonna defeat alot of the purpose with going to a GN hitch. anybody had any experiences with this? wheres the best place to do it? and is it easier/quicker to just pull the bed off?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure it will install in one spot on the frame. I helped my buddy put his on, well mostly drank beer and watched but iirc thhe plates are shaped to the frame and will only install where b&w designed them too

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Also we did his with the bed on. It is possiblle but it is a pain

Sprman

Reaction score
I have a short bed and mine is right over the axle and I've never had any issues in over 5 years. made many 90 degree + turns. Just gotta be careful and know your limits.

Sprman

Reaction score
well, since mine was ordered for a ford, we did it with the bed on. Not sure how much fab you'll have to do since yours is from a dodge since I don't know the dimension differences

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Personally I would just sell the dodge plates and by the ford ones. Do you really want the liability of rigging it up with the neck of the trailer in the bed of the truck?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
"WE AINT BUILDIN A ROCKET SHIP" LOL i guess i figure if i have to build a bracket to fit it would be cheaper than selling mine, which i am almost positive i would get about half as much as a new is worth. i guess ill just have to do some lookin up and see what differences there are

Sprman

Reaction score
It can be done. Just gotta take your time and do it right and you'll be fine. We used to make our own hitches and never had a problem. Didn't want to make one for my 05 so I bought one. :thumbsup:

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Just sell it and buy the Ford one. I wouldn't want the hitch to break and have the trailer smash you, truck, etc. Trailer hitches are something you shouldn't mess with no matter how mechanically inclined you are.

jwlandry

Reaction score
dont waste your time trying to make it fit... Not only are the side plates different that bolts it to the frame, on the fords the angle irons that go from the center section to the side plate are notches due to the ford beds being closer to the frame then other trucks. This isnt something that you want to be halfassing or hacking on... Not only is your life at stake but everyone else around you..

I worked at a trailer place where we did installs like this and ive even build some old school stationary hitches. Ive seen some pretty scary stuff that people trusted day in and day out. I wouldnt have trusted it out the parking lot...

Just go buy what will fit or start from scratch.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
dont waste your time trying to make it fit... Not only are the side plates different that bolts it to the frame, on the fords the angle irons that go from the center section to the side plate are notches due to the ford beds being closer to the frame then other trucks. This isnt something that you want to be halfassing or hacking on... Not only is your life at stake but everyone else around you..

I worked at a trailer place where we did installs like this and ive even build some old school stationary hitches. Ive seen some pretty scary stuff that people trusted day in and day out. I wouldnt have trusted it out the parking lot...

Just go buy what will fit or start from scratch.

Exactly idc how good of a fabricator you are god forbid something happens and u get hurt or hurt someone else they are gonna look and say you butchered this hitch up, the liabillity is on you. its not worth it to save a buck imo. Its not a pulling hitch for a pulling truck that if it fails who cares if that hitch fails its gonna come threw the cab or who knows where. I wouldn't want to have someone cut me off and go gee I hope those welds and bolts don't let lose (as you stomp on the brakes) and have my goose neck riding shotgun with me.

Latest posts

Members online