Walmart fuel = mileage plummets

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I took a trip to Daytona this weekend ~500mi each way. Hauling a little trailer with the bike on it. Running 80mph getting 14.5mpg (lieometer.)

Stopped for fuel at Walmart. :doh: Back on the highway, and now I'm getting 12mpg.

Everything else was the same.

Burned half that tank and stopped again for a fuel up. Checked the separator for water, none.

The new tank, same mpg.

On the way back, same mpg.

WTH could this be? Could something have been damaged? Truck is behaving fine, just lost 2.5mpg.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Put some new fuel filters on at the next oil change. I have noticed a MPG difference between some brands of fuel. For some reason when I put BP in my truck I get worse milage every time, but it picks back up after I switch to my normal station.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Bp diesel for me=burns plenty

Shell and FS fuel station diesel are the best for me. Both come from the Mobil refinery. The bp/sapp bros/flying j fuels consistently drop fuel mileage around 20%.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
80 mph is killing your mileage not the fuel brand. Also elevation, head wind and so on play a part in that. Who thinks they are going to get good mileage at 80mph pulling a trailer though ?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well if he.was.getting 14.5 mpg @80mph and then it.dropped with different fuel theres.a possibility it is the fuel. I have witnessed similar crap before but I dont go 80 very much.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Yea, if you aren't doing at least 75 around here you'll get run over. 80 is what everyone is doing.

No, I don't expect stellar milage at 80, but I do not expect it to suddenly drop when I get fuel at a walmart (first and last time.)

When at home I usually get fuel at the local BP.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yea, if you aren't doing at least 75 around here you'll get run over. 80 is what everyone is doing.

No, I don't expect stellar milage at 80, but I do not expect it to suddenly drop when I get fuel at a walmart (first and last time.)

When at home I usually get fuel at the local BP.

Hell, you can do 80 in the slow lane and get passed by pissed off old ladies flipping you the bird down there! lol

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
I don't trust any grocery store gas stations. I never notice that much difference in mpgs at different fuel stations

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Here on 85 South and 65 South I have actually set my cruise on 90 to keep up with traffic even the Big rigs are cruising 80-85

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Geeeezzz, normal highway speed here is 70-75, there's more speeding around here on less traveled roads, where there are no places for cops to park.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
80 isn't really speeding around here, just +10. Go right past a cop and he'll leave you alone.

I've been exaggerating just a smidge, usually I set the cruise for +8 or 9

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I took a trip to Daytona this weekend ~500mi each way. Hauling a little trailer with the bike on it. Running 80mph getting 14.5mpg (lieometer.)

Stopped for fuel at Walmart. :doh: Back on the highway, and now I'm getting 12mpg.

Everything else was the same.

Burned half that tank and stopped again for a fuel up. Checked the separator for water, none.

The new tank, same mpg.

On the way back, same mpg.

WTH could this be? Could something have been damaged? Truck is behaving fine, just lost 2.5mpg.

lmfao. i don't know why you thought that was a good idea in the first place.LOL

average

Reaction score
Walmart gas? Do they say at least which supplier they get from or is it their own sludge from bottom of barrels?

oconnors17

Reaction score
It all comes out of the same tank or pipe line than into the same simi so not going to buy it. No fing truck is getting 14 at 80 mph I haul for a living. I know a little about milage and fuel. Did you hand calculate all fuel milage separately city high way not off the gauge? Was you truck cleaning the exhaust?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I get 15-16 hand calculated at 80 all the time running empty. If it weren't for these wide azz tires I'm sure it would do better.

Was getting 14 hand calculated on the trip pulling a little trailer with my vrod on it UNTIL I put walmart fuel in, then it dropped to 12 hand calculated.

No idea why, but the mpgs have not come back either. Something got hurt, but I'm clueless as to what. Truck still runs like a raped ape and does not seem to be 'off it's feed' in any way other than the mpg has dropped by 2mpg.

Members online

No members online now.