exhaust brakes

steele86

Reaction score
i have a 02 and i'm looking to get an exhaust brake but don't really know what a is the best i have be looking at bd, pac, banks, but don't know anyone that is running these on a powerstroke. so what do you guys have to say any help is good

Big Bore

Reaction score
I've had a Banks brake and now have a BD, the BD is hands down better than the Banks I had for the OBS which was part of the down pipe. The BD is in the tailpipe and uses v-band clamps to attach, it will work with up to a 5" pipe. It works off compressed air and is pretty instant. Have your tuner keep the torque converter locked down low, or get a switch to lock it.

Tom S

Reaction score
Frank why did you like the BD better out of curiosity.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The BD responds way quicker than the Banks did. I believe thats because it uses an air compressor to operate instead of vacuum. It also doesn't limit exhaust size like the Banks installed in the power elbow did, and has a much larger valve, and isn't limited to the stock turbo since that's where the Banks mounted, so it's more performance friendly. Overall the design and quality of the parts seems better also.

As an aside I believe Banks discontinued the brake for the OBS.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
BD brake here. Not bad at all. Just don't set your expectations of these things too high. They're not regular brakes. They really shine in higher rpm downhill applications. It definitely does its job well though.

Just my 0.02.

CAT97

Reaction score
what about pac brake? do i need put on pressure gauge so i don't build to much pressure
If i recall, PacBrake does not either make one to fit an obs or does not recommend installation of one because they stated something about they were afraid of too much back-pressure for the valves or something to that nature.

Tom S

Reaction score
So do any of these brakes ensure the convertor is locked ect on the trans side?