Painting/coating Banks pipes

Big Bore

Reaction score
I know Tom did this, but I think he removed the coating Banks uses and had them powdercoated. Whatever it is, it seems durable enough to paint over if done right. Any ideas? I've considered polishing or chrome, not cause I'm big on bling but because of ease of cleanup. I don't even know what they are made of. Aluminum? Stainless?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I believe the banks are steel, i cut up and modified mine then had them sand blasted and powder coated. So far its holding up great!

Tom S

Reaction score
They are regular steel. The coating that Banks uses is very tough and the powder coater had a hard time getting it off. Aircraft stripper barely worked. Mine are currently powdercoated in a color called Cosmic Grey.

Tom S

Reaction score
That is a question for a painter. I know I have discussed going over powder coating before with a painter and the concern was over lifting. Powder coating is not all the expensive from my experience. I want to learn how to do some of my own someday.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would not do rattle can over the top if the choice was leaving then alone.

Last edited:

Bushwakd

Reaction score
I have the Banks IC tubes and I have had them on and off quite a few times and this last time they took a beaten. What I did was sand paper scuffed them then gave it a coat of primer. Then a coat of rattle can spray on bed liner for a durable finish. Then a light scuff again and put rattle can Ford medium Blue high temp engine enamel and then two coats of rattle can clear coat. After several days of cure time and injector install it was time to button things up. Upon install both IC pipes got a few good scrapes.They will stay as they are until next time.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I have the Banks IC tubes and I have had them on and off quite a few times and this last time they took a beaten. What I did was sand paper scuffed them then gave it a coat of primer. Then a coat of rattle can spray on bed liner for a durable finish. Then a light scuff again and put rattle can Ford medium Blue high temp engine enamel and then two coats of rattle can clear coat. After several days of cure time and injector install it was time to button things up. Upon install both IC pipes got a few good scrapes.They will stay as they are until next time.

Sounds good, be curious to see how that works out long term. I noticed you used primer, I always thought if you had a good coat of paint already, primer wasn't needed. Is it because there were bare metal spots?

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Sounds good, be curious to see how that works out long term. I noticed you used primer, I always thought if you had a good coat of paint already, primer wasn't needed. Is it because there were bare metal spots?

I did have a few good scratches down to bare metal from the removal of the pipes. A good scuff, some primer and the bed liner to fill the scratch void. The first paint coat was high temp Ford blue but after i had finished the Ford blue was a Smurf blue. So a light scuff again and a few coats of high temp engine enamel Ford medium blue.
Passenger side A/C canister has a bracket that sticks out and F'd up my paint IC paint job.