crankcase vent into exhaust

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone done it yet?

I dont know that much about it other than welding the pipe in at a 45 degree angle should create a vacuum but i really dont know that much about it, like some details, can it be in the down pipe, can it be before the muffler ect. I would like to put one in my down pipe if i can, that way i dont have to route the hose very far, or smell it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would imagine it being further down the line on the exhaust be wise of heat?

Good point, i was going to use high temp silicone hose but it might not be high enough i guess, suppose i could use hard line for part of it to keep the heat down

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the thread about this on psn but I can't remember who did it or the exact title of the thread but someone had done this pre muffler and tested with gauges for vacuum/pressure in the crankcase. Ill keep trying to find it because he had a writeup on what he did. I do know a lot of people had issues with this though but his setup worked.

02BigD

Reaction score
Anyone done it yet?

I dont know that much about it other than welding the pipe in at a 45 degree angle should create a vacuum but i really dont know that much about it, like some details, can it be in the down pipe, can it be before the muffler ect. I would like to put one in my down pipe if i can, that way i dont have to route the hose very far, or smell it.

While theoretically, that vacuum principle should work, the issue becomes the pressure that is in the exhaust. This has been proven to be the case, and there has been discussion about it previously, although not here.

Think about it a second. You have all that air that you are squeezing into that motor, needing to come out roughly the same exhaust as some guy in a 7.3 running a turbo back exhaust at 275 hp. Your downpipe will have a much high pressure number inside at full song. So, downpipe is cramped with exhaust gasses, running by the area where the bung for the ccv comes in. That is going to create a turbulence in the air flow, there is no way around that. What that turbulence does, is change the whole air flow of the area, and has been shown to stop the flow of the ccv in those situations. I wish I had saved the link to the well done write up on this.

Why not make a catch can? With all the stuff you have at your disposal, I would imagine that it would be a matter of minutes for you? Or buy one baller :poke: Then, just route it back in between the filter and turbo.

FWIW, I wanted to do the same thing as well. After doing the research, I didn't feel the risk/reward was worth it. Especially with a not-stock motor.

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I can see how the pressure in the exhaust could be an issue. I have a catch can now, but it is not big enough. Was going to route to the exhaust, but will hold off for now til we know more about it.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
im going to be doing this to my truck...... ill hook up a vaccum boost gauge on my drivers side valve cover for a short period just to test and see if there is indeed excess pressure pushed back into the ccv

jdgleason

Reaction score
I am interested in this as well. Curious to know if there will be any oil or smell from the exhaust? The biggest reaon for the ccv is to keep turbo/ intercooler clean, correct?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I understand the pressure deal, i just figured that the 5 inch exhaust with no muffler couldnt really generate pressure but i dont know thats why im asking, thanks for the info thus far.

Catch cans are not my first choice because its something else to mess with, i figured if the oil could just go into the exhaust and not be any issue then it would be one less thing to mess around with and have to drain/clean ect. i dunno i just like the theory of it

389sixpack

Reaction score
I understand the pressure deal, i just figured that the 5 inch exhaust with no muffler couldnt really generate pressure but i dont know thats why im asking, thanks for the info thus far.

Catch cans are not my first choice because its something else to mess with, i figured if the oil could just go into the exhaust and not be any issue then it would be one less thing to mess around with and have to drain/clean ect. i dunno i just like the theory of it
Dustin, think about this, when you have a leaky pipe or hole in the exhaust you put your hand up around the pipes and feel for exhaust blowing out. You can hear it, feel it - um, yes, there is pressure in there even with the 4" and 5" pipes. To open air or catch can back to turbo inlet is the better option.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Ummmm, pressurizing the crank case is a no no, and that's exactly what is going to happen if you try to tie it into the exhaust

Do what Nigel said, catch can back into the turbo inlet or leave it vented to atmosphere....

G Racing

Reaction score
I've done this on several gas high performance engines and it pulled a nice vacuum on the cc. Never done one on a diesel but have thought about doing it to mine.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
I did this to my 7.3l we welded it were the exhaust goes over the rear axle. It was welded in at a angle. It pulled a vacuum and burnt the ccv. That poor old truck was dusted it had lots to vent. Lol

jdgleason

Reaction score
I cant see a reaon that the 90 wouldnt work... You would have to choose the size of the 90 well I would think. Just to make sure oil could actually drain.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I cant see a reaon that the 90 wouldnt work... You would have to choose the size of the 90 well I would think. Just to make sure oil could actually drain.

Yeah, I guess I should have put the fitting on the top of my exhaust in the pic. Didn't even think of that. Good call.

oneofakindSD

Reaction score
i was just thinking about running silicone hose from breather to downpipe with check ,gassers run a check valve at the header collector, we will see.