2-OD lock up tune

SLO DZL

Reaction score
Ok, so ive been building a lock up tune for my trans to make it shift more like my 11' I had last year and ive got the shift points, line pressures, and slip times all about were I want them so the truck shifts right....but im having a surge issue in both 2nd and 3rd gear just before its time for the trans to up shift. It only happens with light throttle, 8% or less, and if I push the throttle over 10% it doesn't do it. Of course, I drive like a granpa and my truck rarely sees anything over 10% throttle so this affects me every time it shifts thru the gears.

Has anyone else tried making a tune like this or had a similar surge issue on light throttle?

Guess I should add that my truck did something very similar on the new xrace tune, Innovative said I was the 1 out of 10 person that had that issue :shrug:

B585Ford

Reaction score
What RPM are you running? What version did you use as your base file?

SLO DZL

Reaction score
Used the 300 tune with S1 early shift. Ill have to look at the tune when I get home to tell u specific mph/rpm shift points but I tried to keep everything between 1400-1900rpm.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Used the 300 tune with S1 early shift. Ill have to look at the tune when I get home to tell u specific mph/rpm shift points but I tried to keep everything between 1400-1900rpm.

Reason I ask is a while back, there was a surging issue. I think it was around version. 40 or so. It was around 1800 RPM but not everyone with an auto tranny felt it so i was thinking maybe it had been there all along, but your TC/tranny wasn't locking and/or shifting at the right time to cause it and now that you adjusted your TC/line pressure, you can feel it. I had it with mine and I drive a stick so I always wondered if everyone had it but the auto tranny/TC was slipping enough not to make it noticeable. The good news is that if that is the problem, it was completely eliminated with the newer version programming so you might just have to make your program off of a newer version of the engine files.

SLO DZL

Reaction score
Reason I ask is a while back, there was a surging issue. I think it was around version. 40 or so. It was around 1800 RPM but not everyone with an auto tranny felt it so i was thinking maybe it had been there all along, but your TC/tranny wasn't locking and/or shifting at the right time to cause it and now that you adjusted your TC/line pressure, you can feel it. I had it with mine and I drive a stick so I always wondered if everyone had it but the auto tranny/TC was slipping enough not to make it noticeable. The good news is that if that is the problem, it was completely eliminated with the newer version programming so you might just have to make your program off of a newer version of the engine files.

Wish that was the case...im on the newest version 6.4.48? I believe. But i do wonder what exactly was done to stop the surging on the earlier versions.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Wish that was the case...im on the newest version 6.4.48? I believe. But i do wonder what exactly was done to stop the surging on the earlier versions.

Not sure what they did to eliminate it, but it did work. Well, I tried. I assume this didn't occur until you messed with the tranny tuning?

SLO DZL

Reaction score
Yep, trans was the first thing I messed with. Ive only treaked the engine tune to try and see if I couldn't eliminate the surge. Guess ill shoot h&s an email and see what they have to say.

SLO DZL

Reaction score
Have you watched your rail pressure when the surging happend?

Ya but the mini's ability to monitor rail pressure leaves some to be desired. I cant be sure if its really moving up or down or if im letting off the throttle by instinct to stop the surge.

Ive monitored about every pid that i can so far and the only things im coming up with that seem to effect it are %load, %throttle, and rpm.

Since it still seems to do it on stock power, im going to try and data log it with my girl friends dash daq. Maybe then ill have a better idea whats going on.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Ok gotcha. My truck will surge sometimes but i have a manual so i think B585 might be on to something about the torque converter. Anyhow my rail pressure was going between 9-11K at about the same rpm,load ect. I want to mess with my tunes to fix this but i just dont have a ton of time right now. Keep us posted on what you find.

Latest posts

Members online