EGT's between 6-800 cruising down highway?

01stroker

Reaction score
Don't know if it's just me, but my EGT's seem high to me cruising at 70mph at 800 some odd degrees. I know in my old OBS with Stage 2 sticks and stock turbo i was only pushing 400 degrees at cruising and barely topped 1000 at WOT. Any suggestions?

One last thought, my boost barely hits 20, I don't have major modifications just simple stuff chip, intake, exhaust, idm, etc.

01stroker

Reaction score
That's pretty well in the green. I think you're fine.

Thanks, just wanted to be put at ease, I know my OBS was pushing maybe 40lbs with the injectors and only ran 300-400 degrees at 70mph. Of course I've got alot going into the truck soon :pimp: which is a whole different story, not as quick as my old OBS but definately handles better and shifts better.

Austin

Reaction score
Where was the EGT probe on your OBS? That's low... Like idle low for me at least.

I'll run 580 on the highway.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks, just wanted to be put at ease, I know my OBS was pushing maybe 40lbs with the injectors and only ran 300-400 degrees at 70mph. Of course I've got alot going into the truck soon :pimp: which is a whole different story, not as quick as my old OBS but definately handles better and shifts better.

i bet you had the pyro mounted in the down pipe on the old obs,for temps as low as 300-400 at 70mph

mattymx

Reaction score
600-800 is totally normal under flat driving conditions. One thing that I have done to my trucks a few times a year is to check for boost leaks. you would be amazed at what a slight leak can do to your EGT's. Here is a pic of the one I built for about $25. If you build one, make sure you seal it with JB Weld and dont fill the system to over 15 PSI. Silicone is not going to hold it together and at a pressure of 15 PSI, it becomes a missile if it comes off. Just spray every part of the system from the turbo to the intake boots with a soapy water solution in a spray bottle. Look for small bubbles forming around leaks.

IDM_MOD.jpg

jdgleason

Reaction score

Thats way low for egts for much other than idling.... either way you should be fine.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Cheeeeep boost leak detector:
IMAG1377.jpg

IMAG1375.jpg

For those who like to go all out, drill and tap a 2nd hole for pressure gauge. If ya really like extreme overkill, put a pressure regulator between schrader valve and PVC cap!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Sounds a bit high for stock tires... 800* crusing...

Check for boost leaks, and also check the up pipes...

Latest posts

Members online