Front axle weight

Spindrift

Reaction score
Hit the scales with the new fiver this weekend. Front axle weight with no pin weight is 5,700#. With 2,980# of pin weight my front axle weight drops to 5,440#. I'm using an Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch...a hybrid gooseneck adapter of sorts. I'm not getting enough weight in front of the drive axle. Enough to be concerned?

SledDogg

Reaction score
Why would you use a goose neck adapter instead of the fifth wheel plate? A goose neck is FAR less stable when towinga 5th wheel. I have a Curt 20k and it is smooth as butter since it has multiple grease zerks and is fully rubber isolated. I tow thwm for a living. I payed $480 at Johnsons RV surplus in White Pigeon, MI.

Now to address your front axel weight. Is your goose neck ball centered over the axel or three inches forward? it should be three inches forward.

Spindrift

Reaction score
What is the minimum distance between truck bumper and front face of the fiver? I'm certainly not 3" forward of the rear axle so I'll see if I can move my hitch forward any.

SledDogg

Reaction score
Bumper distance to front face is meaningless. It is all about the where the pin weight is placed in relation to the axel center line. Semi drivers have to adjust trailer axel placement and especially fifth wheel plate placement. My hitch and goose neck plate uses universal rails installed at a hitch house. Curt and most other goose neck plates have the ball welded so that the plate can be mounted with the ball either centered or forward 3" of axel centerline.

Spindrift

Reaction score
It's not meaningless if you have the ability to move the ball more forward of the axle, which I have the ability to do. However, if I do move the ball forward I then have to be concerned about my turning radius. I don't want to be making a sharp right/left hand turn and have to worry about the rear corner of the truck hitting the corner of the fiver. The challenge I have is that the ball can't be moved incrementally, therefore the original question stands. I suppose I can make the adjustment and have my wife watch the corners of the fiver when I turn. I was simply wondering if there was a "standard" distance.