6.0 7.3 turbo swap?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
just got chased down b a guy in a 7.3.. wanted to race. i asked what he had done he said " i dropped in a turbo out of a 6.0" i told him i had a stock motor when we went to the strip where we race. (before i get chewed out for it its a closed down highway outside of town) I dusted him pretty good he was just pouring smoke and not going anywhere very fast. question is, Is that turbo swap possible?practical?

G Racing

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!

The turbo off a 6.0 has varible geometry vanes which are controlled by the computer. so a stock 6.0 turbo will not drop in place of a stock 7.3 turbo

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
It's possible... Anything is. As long as you have a controller for the VGT solenoid. In all reality though its not worth the hassle when you can drop in a proven 475rwhp turbo

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
I know its been done on an obs. It was probably spewing smoke everywhere because the turbo wasn't spooling. I know they need a controller of some sort for the VGT.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Guy was probably a liar.

That's a lot more likely than a 6.0 turbo swap. Especially if you beat him with just a superchip.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Will a 6.0 turbo swap right onto the 7.3 pedestal, or does it require fabbing new uppipes and mounts?

No. The 6.0 is a standard rotation turbo. the 7.3's are reverse rotation. Not a drop in turbo at all.

Big Bore

Reaction score
No. The 6.0 is a standard rotation turbo. the 7.3's are reverse rotation. Not a drop in turbo at all.

Thats what I thought, which makes me think the kid was indeed FOS, because if he had the ability to fab up a VGT mount, he would probably have done some other stuff. I'm thinking scenario might be someone sold him a van turbo or something and told him it was a 6.0 trubo, someone sold him the truck and told him it had the 6.0 turbo, or he's on the crack. LOL

OP, you should have told him you were all stock, LOL

littleredstroker

Reaction score
OP, you should have told him you were all stock, LOL

I did lol said the only thing i had done was the stacks.

Just to clear things up since i sense some sarcasm for you you JAP. I didnt meant to come off as billy badass because i am takin baby steps with my truck and dont have a whole lot done.

I figured he was full of crap or an idiot. turns out he is both.

TARM

Reaction score
I would have asked to see under the hood. That would have told you a great deal. I think I read where you could set up the 6.0 turbo and fix the vanes in one position.

IIRC, HRT has setup working VGT turbo as part of a compound setup.

Austin

Reaction score
i asked to see it and he said that "only me and my mechanic look under my hood". sounds like kinda a tool

I ****ing hate guys like that. I called out a guy with an ex on FB who said he runs 12's. But he wouldn't tell me what he had because it was "in the shop, getting a built motor."

Morons.