ported rails?

jdgleason

Reaction score
I think the general concensus is it isnt real noticeable. More of a mod that helps overall, and because the rails can handle a little higher volume of fuel, should theoretically give the pump a slight break.

jdgleason

Reaction score
didn't these help jeff d bump over 600 hp?

Its tough to say. Jeff did several upgrades when he did the ported rails. Jeffs truck is set up very well to put power to the ground. He has a built tranny, cal tracs, its lowered, and has small tires with light wheels. Not saying they dont help, I am sure they do, just dont expect to make more power or go faster at the track.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah your right about jeffs truck

I dont know how much power they really add honestly, the way i see it is if the system maintains pressure at the rail then the power should be the same reguardless of the rail size, NOW i do think that an initial stab of the throttle may be quicker respons because you might not get a slight rail drain before the pump can catch up, i dont know if thats what happens or not but thats how my brain pictures what happens

That being said i beleive the rails were designed to help with some surging issues making a mechanical damper between the pump and the injector to keep the pressure at the rail more stable, essentially the rail is an accumulator anyway, so it kinda acts like a damper for the rest of the system.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
makes sense. I was just curious if they were different enough to put down a lot more power. (well some) but I guess it would def help if you had a bigger pump so it could def flow all the added fuel?

jdgleason

Reaction score
makes sense. I was just curious if they were different enough to put down a lot more power. (well some) but I guess it would def help if you had a bigger pump so it could def flow all the added fuel?

It shouldnt.... basically the rail holds the fuel before it gets to the injector. The injector/pulse width is going to be where the power is. So basically, the rail wont change how much fuel is flowed. The injectors and the pump are what moves the fuel. The rail is more of a place for fuel to wait to be injected. What dustin said about stabbing the throttle sounds about right: If the rail can hold more fuel in it at pressure, Then the injectors will have a hard time draining it, and the pump wont have to play catch up.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

At some point i would imagine that an injector will flow more fuel then the rail has capacity for, which is another reason i think tadd made them, but it all goes back to fluid dynamics, which tadd is uber smart about, so he probably just knows the chain of events that needs to happen to keep a system in balance, we are just lucky that international seamed to over design the fuel system from the factory

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I wasn't really to sure about it. buy like shone and whitemonster said it's $125. not many mods are that cheap-and I'm sure it helps somehow. other than my tune, delete, and intake. there isn't many others without taking a big step (EGR delete, cfm elbow, etc will come too)

White_monster

Reaction score
Yes it's cheap for a mod. Don't forget the new fuel lines that are highly recommended, internal fuel leak would be bad. You need 8 line from the rails to injectors and should replace both lines from the hpfp to the rails too. I think about $250 in lines from Ford would be about right. So now the mod is in the $350 range and you haven't got the labour in yet, plus bleeding the fuel system can be fun.

White_monster

Reaction score
No prob. Turbos need to come off to replace the lines from the pump to rail. You could try to reuse those ones but if they leak and spray the turbo there's gonna be a nice fireball with your truck in it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.