Stand alone PCM/IDM

Big Bore

Reaction score
One of the issues we seem to have is electronic lag. Has anyone ever considered addressing this with a one unit standalone control box that uses the factory plugs? Surely this has been talked about somewhere and I've missed it. No doubt Charles has, but hasn't made one yet, which makes me wonder considering all the other stuff he has put together over the years.

golfer

Reaction score
been done.

moved on to common rail, LOL

though the time we spent developing a standalone was (generally) wasted on HEUI injection...it was integral to developing the programming & hardware required for the common rail injection control for the 7.3L.

to overcome the HEUI deficiency (large amount of OIL per time)...an injector could be designed to move more oil (larger poppet valve, higher poppet valve lift, etc)...but since the actuation is from the solenoids' magnetic field...

increasing lift...means that you have to increase the GAP between the solenoid & armature...further delaying mechanical movement (from the time of the signal to valve movement)

increasing valve size...means that (aside from physical space constraints)..then valve will be heavier...increased delay for same reason as above.

so...knowing that the poppet is the REAL issue with HEUI injection...and that (nearly) any obvious solution would increase (mechanical) delay...

we designed a driver that would run with overlapping ELECTRICAL signals...(which isn't possible with the factory PCM/IDM)..

but at the end of the day...it was easier (for us)...and opened up more room for more power to use injectors that don't rely on lube oil.

there are improvements that can be made with the HEUI injectors...

but when it's all boiled down to the nitty gritty....if the ______ guys are moving 1000cc's (with their small pumps, LOL)...IF we were able to make a 1000+cc HEUI injector...we would still have to move 4-5000mm^3's of OIL...IN under 2ms...to be competitive

pick a fuel volume that the _________ guys are moving...now multiply it by your injection pressure ratio....(non hybrid, hybrid, B-code, super special hybrid, etc)....

and that's how much HPOil you need to move...

now factor in your operating rpm...and figure that you have (approx) less than 3ms at 3000rpm...~ 2ms @ 4000rpm...and under 1.5ms at 5500rpm+ available TIME to get the chit into the cylinder.

so...if anyone needs a standalone PCM... I would suggest Apex Speed Tech... and I would recommend to use the Pectel SQ-6M Engine Control Module, for which you'll also need a 30-1 or 60-2 cam trigger.

we put one of these on a HEUI engine (back in 2008?)...full sequential injection, individual fuel trim per cylinder...

it's super nice.

Bean

Reaction score
Pretty much sums that up LOL.

Stand alones are cool and an awesome way to go for any electronic injection engine setup. But moral of the story is dont waste its unlimited potential on an injection system that only has limited potential. CR systems have thier limitations as well but are light years beyond that of a HEUI system.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Dave and Bean nailed it. The problem is not really electronics. That being said - I don't care - I like my HEUI and know there are plenty of advancements that can be made. Its about truly understanding function and combustion for me - because at the end of the day IF I can reach my goals on a HEUI motor - it will be because I truly understand what is going on and have optimized every single thing to make it happen. While 1K Hp on fuel is somewhat impressive for any engine, what happens when I take all that I have learned and apply it to something without the limitation imposed by the HEUI system.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
hotrodtractor...the HEUI martyr LOL

I know. Its kind of sad really. Especially since I know what other platforms are really capable of. Hell my DD truck could make the PSD top 25 power list and the top 25 fuel only drag times if I were to tweak in the race tune and actually use it to its extent.