Engine oil temp ranges??

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
I thought this might be a good subject to have for the database. What should they run under normal driving, towing and how do you know when it's time for a rebuild of the oil cooler?

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Both trucks in sig have 203* t-stats and I've never seen much over 220* EOT, even towing heavy in the mountains. Driving unloaded I usually see 200-210* EOT.

What is the typical failure mode of oil cooler? Plugged passages? I always thought it was leaks, not lack of performance... :confused:

Tom S

Reaction score
My truck on the highway empty in warm weather the oil temp is 10 under coolant temperature.

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
Normally between 188-202 in the heat of the summer. I saw 202-212 a few times on my way to kentucky earlier this year for TS.

Always completely empty.

Read off my scan gauge

Tom S

Reaction score
Off the scan guage Frank. Engine Coolant temp is monitored off a digital guage at the thermostat housing.

Just a side light I also have scan guage in my 09 Impala. Oil temps on that are 230 degrees on a summer highway drive.

Tom

Peroni

Reaction score
Warming up my oil temp lags 10° behind the coolant but once up to temp it runs 10° above the coolant. This is with a 205° t-stat, flushed cooling system with new coolant and a cleaned and resealed oil cooler running Schaeffers 9000 5W-40. Temps sender is in the filter head. Towing a big hill it may run a little more that 10° over the coolant but always falls off quick once up and over the hill.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Coolant at 190-200, EOT is at 200-210... This is pulling HEAVY.

Normal driving they are within a few degree's of each other at 190 or so...

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
My truck on the highway empty in warm weather the oil temp is 10 under coolant temperature.

Did you mean 10* OVER coolant temp? That would be typical based on the trucks I've monitored... Not sure how the oil temp could be LOWER than coolant temp under normal operating conditions since the oil is 'cooled' by coolant that is circulating thru the block??? :shrug:

Tom S

Reaction score
Did you mean 10* OVER coolant temp? That would be typical based on the trucks I've monitored... Not sure how the oil temp could be LOWER than coolant temp under normal operating conditions since the oil is 'cooled' by coolant that is circulating thru the block??? :shrug:

No oil is ten under. The only other one I can remember that has had a similar experience was Joey Omlin.

wooner

Reaction score
Base on my scan gauge for both temp readings, my EOT runs 5-10 degrees below ECT, around 195-205 degrees for EOT

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
Seems like the Scanguages are reading low compared to dedicated oil temp gauges, which is the most accurate? I would think the dedicated gauge in the filterhead would be the most accurate.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think those scan gauges are pretty accurate at least at room temps. I know mine is darn close to the actual temp in the garage at start up. Coollant temp I read with a digital autometer gauge.

Tom S

Reaction score
Same on the water temp location but HPOP reservoir with the scan gauge.

Tom S

Reaction score
I dunno I was wondering about that too. I just got back from some errands and in town driving same results 196 coolant temp was like 185 oil temp.

Members online

No members online now.