Air filter placement.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I've been thinking about our air filters and there crap location. I had to pull the lid on my intake to keep up with my first turbo upgrade and my IAT went way up! Pushing 200 degrees this spring. I had them in check before with ambient but its a new game. I'm thinking of a simple swap of placement for the batt. Much like the 6.7. Ideas and opinions? Pics and placement of batt of people who have done it.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I would check out elites set up. The intake set up on Shone's truck is sick. Not sure what intake temps would be there tho.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen it but this is a tow rig. Every degree I can drop coming in will count coming out. I'm looking at aftermarket intakes from the 6.7. The left side of my grill is already dedicated to ramming the air in. I'm thinking I just need a closed box put in place of the battery. Idk needs more thought.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Maybe an intake thats boxed set up that way would be perfect for you then... especially if you already are tryin to cram air in

Spatel23

Reaction score
Ill try and get some for you by the end of next week.

I havent really paid much attention the IAT temps since the Elite intake was installed but I dont think they would be too much higher. I think the incoming air while driving would be enough to keep them in check since the intake is so close to the front of the engine. We shall see.......

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I will try and get you some readings also this week. If I remember. LOL I can see how having your top open would increase you IAT especially when towing. I haven't monitored mine either since going to the open design.

Shone, do you know who makes that filter element you are using? I need to find a bigger one, since my filter minder gets sucked in when driven hard. Mine is large, but yours is bigger.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Yeah its an AFE part number 24-50518 and its 18inches long! Thing is massive. I had to get a custom filter sock made for it by outerwears.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Yeah its an AFE part number 24-50518 and its 18inches long! Thing is massive. I had to get a custom filter sock made for it by outerwears.

Cool, thanks. Will have to see if it will fit into my application, but I think it will. I have seen that sock on yours and will do the same if I go that way..

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Let me know guys. It will be good info if just moving it up will help. My experience is telling me your going to pick up alot egts from the rad and intercooler when the fan pulls the the heat into the engine compartment. Sorry for the delay. I've put down 1200 miles in the last day and half. BC,AB, and . MT. Home tomorrow.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Let me know guys. It will be good info if just moving it up will help. My experience is telling me your going to pick up alot egts from the rad and intercooler when the fan pulls the the heat into the engine compartment. Sorry for the delay. I've put down 1200 miles in the last day and half. BC,AB, and . MT. Home tomorrow.

Im not sure if Im following what you are saying here, did you get your truck back?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Just that I was a couple days behind on the tread. No truck yet. I'm running the big bosses 385 Pete.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Suppose to be ready any day now isn't it? My IA #'s won't do you much good. It has been real cool this week and I would have to be in city traffic if my fan were to turn on. Yesterday the IA were 2 degrees higher than ambient while cruising 65mph. Of course at a stop it shot up 20 degrees but once moving again it quickly settles back down. Next week suppose to be back to normal temps here, upper 90's.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Just that I was a couple days behind on the tread. No truck yet. I'm running the big bosses 385 Pete.

Oh, I see.

Suppose to be ready any day now isn't it? My IA #'s won't do you much good. It has been real cool this week and I would have to be in city traffic if my fan were to turn on. Yesterday the IA were 2 degrees higher than ambient while cruising 65mph. Of course at a stop it shot up 20 degrees but once moving again it quickly settles back down. Next week suppose to be back to normal temps here, upper 90's.

This goes along with my logic though....I think once the truck is moving the IATs will stay relativley in check because of the incoming air.
It will be interesting to see around which point the temperatures hover once weather is back to normal.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
If I remember right with the open lid at 55 65 I was 20degrees higher. If you guys are staying near ambient its already a benifit with out trying to isolate it.

White_monster

Reaction score
I'm running my s&b with the lid off. It can't keep up with my tow powers but intake temps were higher after pulling the lid but at least I don't suck the minded in right away.

Smokin_Joe

Reaction score
I'm running my s&b with the lid off. It can't keep up with my tow powers but intake temps were higher after pulling the lid but at least I don't suck the minded in right away.

I had that same problem with the S&B. It's a great setup but I had to go back to my afe. I picked up 1.25 tenths runnning no filter.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I had that same problem with the S&B. It's a great setup but I had to go back to my afe. I picked up 1.25 tenths runnning no filter.

That is why I plan on trying the mamouth element Shone has. I have a pretty large filter now but still suck in the ol filter minder.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.