2000 F-350 SRW & DRW max tow rating?

Jomax

Reaction score
Kicking the idea around of towing cars. My dad has a 2000 DRW 7.3 4x4 one ton and I have a 1999.5 F-350 4x4 7.3. Trying to find ratings for the max 5th wheel towing. Also read that you can change the GvWR? Possible with DOT?
Thanks

Zmann

Reaction score
DOT issues are going to be state By state so You will want to mention you live in AZ
and you will be dealing with the AZDOT so you may want to call them but I don't think they are so compliant as other states that let you claim the GVRW

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Dont overload your axle ratings and you will be fine. Look in the drivers door jam. You will have fawr and rawr.

B585Ford

Reaction score
In WV, the DOT goes by the manufacturers sticker. If your truck has a sticker in the door and it doesn't have a GCWR (if it only has a GVWR) then you can go as heavy as the two are rated added together if you have combo tags. Just remember that if you have a combo GCWR of over 26k, you need a CDL to tow it legally even if the trailer is empty.

newman

Reaction score
We had a safety meeting at work a d the CDL coordinator said any thing 18000+lbs is considered a commercial vehicle and 26001+lbs requires a CDL.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
The GVWR on both trucks should be 11,200#'s, I don't remember forward, or rear axle weight ratings though. Do not go over either axle weight ratings on the truck or the trailer, and don't exceed the weight ratings for the tires. If your load is within those ratings you are legal.
Also to determine if you need a class A CDL (most likely), add up the GVWR for the truck and trailer.

For example - Truck (Front axle-4000#, Rear axle-7200# = 11,200#) Trailer (First axle- 10,000#, Second axle- 10,000# = 20,000#) GVWR of truck, plus trailer, would put you at a CGVWR of 31,200#. Obviously your over the 26,000# so you need a CDL.

GreenF350

Reaction score
My 2000 F350 SRW is rated at 9,900 GVWR on the door. Rear axle is 6900 iirc. GCWR of either truck (the SRW or DRW F350 in 2000) is 20,000 according to Ford. I have been researching this for a bit as well since I am looking to pick up a 40'ish enclosed trailer and find it odd that the DRW while having a higher GVWR and being able to handle a higher pin weight, is actually rated to tow LESS due to being a heavier truck but the same GCWR. From what I have read, be licensed properly and follow hitch and axle ratings and you are good I most states. Seems a lot of this info is clear as mud and most law enforcement/DMV/DOT and people that actually haul that I ask all seem to give me a different answer. Best of luck.
-Aaron

B585Ford

Reaction score
My 2000 F350 SRW is rated at 9,900 GVWR on the door. Rear axle is 6900 iirc. GCWR of either truck (the SRW or DRW F350 in 2000) is 20,000 according to Ford. I have been researching this for a bit as well since I am looking to pick up a 40'ish enclosed trailer and find it odd that the DRW while having a higher GVWR and being able to handle a higher pin weight, is actually rated to tow LESS due to being a heavier truck but the same GCWR. From what I have read, be licensed properly and follow hitch and axle ratings and you are good I most states. Seems a lot of this info is clear as mud and most law enforcement/DMV/DOT and people that actually haul that I ask all seem to give me a different answer. Best of luck.
-Aaron

Before I got into hot shotting, I called the DMV/DOT, etc. more times than I can count. Like you said, I always got different answers. In the end, I used the rule of three....if I could get 3 different people to tell me the same thing, I started to believe it. LOLLOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.