Towing limits

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I might be making my first heavy tow(in my mind) tomorrow... I got a trailer thats grossing 4000 lbs and a car thats 3500... I have a 6 inch lift, thats all spring so its very very rigid and stiff.. I imagine I'd have a drop down hitch also..

is it safe to tow this weight or should I borrow another truck?

thanks

superstroked

Reaction score
You should have no problem whatsoever unless I'm completely missing something here..:confused:
I see 7500lbs of weight...no issues here. You will for sure want to use a drop hitch if you are lifted to keep the load level. Are you kidding btw?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
no im not.. im not up to par with towing... stupid as that sounds, ive never had anything more to tow than a quad...

Denver

Reaction score
Don't forget to extend your mirrors! You'll be fine. When I'm at the dunes I see trucks with 14" lifts on 40's pulling 30' trailers.

sootie

Reaction score
the more rigid and stiff the rear springs are the better it tows.

superstroked

Reaction score
no im not.. im not up to par with towing... stupid as that sounds, ive never had anything more to tow than a quad...

Dude, you could pull double that weight without much issue. You will need to adjust your driving style. Easier take offs, earlier braking, and wider turns. Best advice I can offer is take your time and make sure you load the trailer so you have weight on the hitch. about 60/40 should work. Does the trailer have brakes? make sure all the tires have proper pressure ect..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
im sure it has brakes, I have a controller in cab also. Im not scared towing, I just wasnt sure with the suspension if it was wise

08psdbeast

Reaction score
Make sure to adjust your brake controller properly. Slide the manual actuator on the controller all the way. Try to pull the trailer. Adjust the controller until the truck barely moves. This should give you the max trailer braking without locking the trailer wheels. Might have to back it off just a hair from there.
You probably won't even notice the trailer on behind you anyway.
Have fun.

genuineford

Reaction score
Another way to adjust it and the way my manual for the brake controller said was to drive about 25mph and use the manual slider on the brake controller and adjust it up until the brakes lock up then back it off just enough that they don't lock up.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
602123_131692220339188_136120910_n.jpg

There is 26,000# on my trailer right there... Going was no issue... Stopping was less then fun.