Cummins 24v won't hold prime.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Trying to help a guy I know. He has a 99 24v Cummins with 140k on the clock. The truck is done stock but he says it won't hold prime. He says that even if he shuts the truck off for 30 seconds that it sometimes takes a minute or so to build prime back up. What would cause this to leak down? Thanks for your help!

Demon

Reaction score
Overflow valve. It's the banjo bolt.that holds the return line on the pump. There's a spring and check ball in it. Common for the spring to break or be so weak it doesn't seat the ball anymore. There's 2 styles. Adjustable and non adjustable. Either one can loose the spring.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Dustball8504

Reaction score

Demon

Reaction score
No. That's replaces the inlet banjo, and tap for transfer pressure through the adapter body.

What youre looking for is called an overflow valve.

Demon

Reaction score
Now he's got to confirm that his transfer pump is working correctly for starters as well. He must have a fuel pressure gauge? If he has a vp44 in his truck, you'd be foolish to not have a fuel pressure gauge.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I would assume his transfer pump is working correctly, he said it starts and runs fine but it loses prime when you shut it off.

Demon

Reaction score
not nessissarilly. But assuming the transfer pump is working then, and there's no fuel leaks internally or externally. I'd pull the overflow and check it out. cheap to replace. easy to do.

Latest posts

Members online