Choosing an Intake

fine69

Reaction score
With all the Intake choices out there, how do I choose one thats right for my truck? Is there a certain model that works best for Daily driver's? Is there a certain model that filter's best? Help me out! I've narrowed down my tuner choice, now I need to pick an intake.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I hear good about the S&B's. Everyone I've talked to loves the fit and finish. Can't go wrong with AFE either.

jdgleason

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind- if you plan on going to aftermarket turbos at some point, the AFE stage 2 si is one of the only intakes that was working without modification (as of a few months ago anyway). That being said, I have an AFE and I love mine, havent had any problems with it at all. I dont think you can really go wrong with either AFE or S&B

jdgleason

Reaction score
There were problems originally with s&bs especially sucking the filter minded in with tow powers is what I meant. Rudy at one time told me afe (non si) was prone to the same. I know now guys run with the lid off and they work ok.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Another nod for S&B. If you get the cleanable cotton filter, make sure to order a cleaning kit also. I clean and re-oil mine every 12-15k. Very distinct growl when its clean, sounds mean. You'd never believe how much dirt they collect until you service it for the first time.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Another nod for S&B. If you get the cleanable cotton filter, make sure to order a cleaning kit also. I clean and re-oil mine every 12-15k. Very distinct growl when its clean, sounds mean. You'd never believe how much dirt they collect until you service it for the first time.

Its nuts, they look dirty but then you get bugs twigs dirt and everything else and your thanking that thing for stoping that crap from going into the turbos and engine.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I had an AFE si? I believe, the one that has a attachment on top of the battery that directs air into the filter box. Worked really well, don't use it any more since it can't keep up with my setup. Had the SB for a day and it is a well made product too.

powr2stroke

Reaction score
I had an AFE si? I believe, the one that has a attachment on top of the battery that directs air into the filter box. Worked really well, don't use it any more since it can't keep up with my setup. Had the SB for a day and it is a well made product too.

What air intake are you running now Erik ?

JDub

Reaction score
I've used the AFE Stage 2, AFE Stage 2 SI, and now the Airaid. Think the Airaid is my favorite so far. The Stage 2 SI was too much of a pain to remove the filter for service and fit pretty tight. The standard Stage 2 worked really well and fit nice, but I didn't like the metal box around it, too much heat absorption. The Airaid has a big filter on it and is easy to service, plus it's a plastic box, was plenty to support the single turbo and 600hp.

Haven't tried the S&B personally, but after installing a few at the shop, we don't sell them anyomre.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
What air intake are you running now Erik ?

Shane is right, I made my own out of some 5" diameter piping to a bigger element that Toxic Diesel had laying around. Works well but like he said it isn't keeping up either. Battery moving time possibly.

fine69

Reaction score
I've used the AFE Stage 2, AFE Stage 2 SI, and now the Airaid. Think the Airaid is my favorite so far. The Stage 2 SI was too much of a pain to remove the filter for service and fit pretty tight. The standard Stage 2 worked really well and fit nice, but I didn't like the metal box around it, too much heat absorption. The Airaid has a big filter on it and is easy to service, plus it's a plastic box, was plenty to support the single turbo and 600hp.

Haven't tried the S&B personally, but after installing a few at the shop, we don't sell them anyomre.

What is it you didn't like about the S&B intake? I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them, I've actually been leaning toward S&B.

Members online

No members online now.