96 Engine Removal

caladash

Reaction score
Found me a motor from a 96 at the junkyard today!! Still installed and complete! They only want 150 for it!! The bumper, grill, radiator, condensor and all that stuff is removed. My questions: how long should it take to take the motor out, and does the turbo need to come out? The work area in the junk yard sucks so are there any tricks or heads up before I do this? Thank you!!

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I would remove the core support, drop the tcase (if equipped), disconnect harness, exhaust, engine and tranny mounts, and other items necessary for removal. Then I'd pull the engine and tranny out together.

It's much easier to say than to do in a junkyard though. LOL and most importantly...have fun! And watch out for bee's nests! :doh:

neverkickn

Reaction score
I can have my motor out and on a stand in just over two hours in a shop with all of the right tools and no rusted bolts. Since all the front end is out already then you have a head start.

Neal 97 250

Reaction score
It is a heavy monster so be sure you have a good lifting device and good chains.

You should be able to get it out without removing the turbo. I like the idea of pulling th etranny too. But definately need to remove the TCase.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Turbo can stay on, no need to drop the trans. If it's an auto, make sure you unbolt the trans dipstick tube from the back of the block. There are 6 bellhousing bolts, I had to get the top 2 through the engine bay with a 3/4" box end wrench.

Latest posts

Members online