7/8 Frost plug Alternative

Irishcream

Reaction score
I am having a real hard time finding a 7/8 Frost plug at any auto parts storesin town. Nobody has em so I am looking for an alternative to the frost plug. Anyone ever covered the Fuel pump tappet hole with a plate? Custom or otherwise?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it was Old Man Dave that has a machined piece with an O-ring to block off that hole.

genuineford

Reaction score
Try a engine machine shop or rebuilder. They should have them in stock. I got mine from carquest but NAPA should have them.

Irishcream

Reaction score
Napa has none in stock and it was the Central Distribution Center. The local supplier is moving so they are closed. Will a metal plate with a paper or rubber gasket do the trick? Or even a 15/16th frost plug.

Tom S

Reaction score
How soon do you need it? I would be willing next week to find you one and mail it to you. I think car quest was where I got mine.

I do think the plate and grey death would work too.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I needed it for tomorrow. I am going to finish the install after work. So far I got the fuel pump mounted as well as the filter base with the lines run to and from the pump. All I have left is the hard parts. wiring in the pump, taking out the fuel pump, fuel bowl and mounting the regulator.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
i was in the same boat, went to ace hardware and got a tappered rubber "kork" plug deal and shoved it in and smacked it in good with a hammer tell i could a freeze plug

Irishcream

Reaction score
I got a full stock room to try and find something that will do for now. I don't think there is a lot of pressure under whatever plug I may use to plug it up. I know i could probably find the proper plug in a couple days, I just don't have a lot of free time to get this installed any other time.

kampy

Reaction score
Just bypass it and leave the pump in place until you get the plug, but yea, a flat plate and gasket or gray death will work fine.

96F350KID

Reaction score
I have one don't know if you need it?? Im in FL i could over night it but don't know how much the shipping would be into canada shouldn't be much

Tom S

Reaction score
Just bypass it and leave the pump in place until you get the plug, but yea, a flat plate and gasket or gray death will work fine.

My concern would be that without fuel to lubricate the pump might the second stage of the pump seize up. If I was going to do that I would remoe the tappet.

kampy

Reaction score
It would eventually seize but would do it in the up position so it wouldn't really affect anything. The best answer would be a simple blockoff plate with a gasket or removing the cam follower as you suggested.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I found a steel cap that I pounded into the hole until I can find the proper plug. At least this will buy me some time to get the 7/8.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.