Think its time for a BTS..

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had a problem with my tq conv slipping last weekend after a 150mi trip. Luckily I was close to home. I pulled over and let the truck idle to cool the trans down. Dont have a trans gauge installed yet(i know, big no-no) and I dont really give a crap about the stock trans anymore as I wanna run 300/200's so I know a stock box is outta the question. Gauges will be here next Tues.

Called BTS today and am pretty sure its gonna be what I need. Im not flopping 8 g's out for a JW tranny. Suncoast? Meh.

Probably take the journey down there to do it.

Tom S

Reaction score
You definately want to make the trip if you can. Brian is an awesome guy and it makes for a very nice day. You will wish you could remember half of what he tells you. I bet he still loves the compressed air and the exhaust fan.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well I wanted to be conservative and run stage II's at around 175cc's with a 100 over nozzle but if Im already burning up the slushbox with stock inj's and a 38r with php tunes Im gonna get the best trans there is and then I can be more liberal with my power adders. Granted, Ill have to gate the 38r or pull the tuning way back to run 300/200's but I have a plan for more air once I recover from the price of the bts:evil

So what size charger would go well with my 38r...

TyCorr

Reaction score
My gps says it'll take me about 8hrs to get there...im thinking it'll be more like ten or eleven though...I might have to stick a cheap converter in there to get down there!!!

I was under the impression bts put a 6.0 cooler in as part of the install but they merely suggested that I get one...its 4500 installed...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i think the cooler is separate, 4500 is prolly for the tranny and schaffers fluid but i don't know for sure.... try to put it in the stock tune and run it that way... might get ya down there if your not towing anything

TyCorr

Reaction score
i think the cooler is separate, 4500 is prolly for the tranny and schaffers fluid but i don't know for sure.... try to put it in the stock tune and run it that way... might get ya down there if your not towing anything

I used to run my truck HARD bud and now that its been getting babied for the last year its fallin apart, in a sense anyway, the trans cooler is leaking which isnt too bad when its running but it oozes when its sitting. I didnt wanna replace it until I got a new trans though. No point in filling a new one with garbage right? I think if I just pull the tuner off I can make it. Ill just watch the gauge and make sure its not getting too hot. Im to call in Monday to get the lead time and then schedule the appt.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I was under the impression bts put a 6.0 cooler in as part of the install but they merely suggested that I get one...its 4500 installed...

Its not included in the $4500, but its not really 'optional' either. I'm not sure what would happen if Brian couldn't convince you that ya should get one though... :morons:

I have gotten to go to BTS 2x now and I'll drag another truck over there every chance I get!! Great shop and it feels kinda like PSD college there - I suggest making a list of trans and general PSD questions before ya go (and maybe take notes when they get answered, so you'll remember - LOL!) The best part is ya get to SEE why ya don't want a suncoaster, he'll likely have a couple torn-up ones to show you!!

BTS was the first step for my X, later this year it should get some 250/200's and stuff so I can actually give the trans a workout!!! My stocker went 242k miles and I drove it to Lead Hill - but upon teardown, I got to see it was probably ONE hard shift away from calling a tow truck!! The funny part was I didn't realize how conservative I had been driving with 'failing trans' - all that babying it and taking my foot out of it before shifting really made for great MPG's!! Its been 20k miles already and I know I haven't made it thru a whole tank without breaking the tires loose a few times... :doh:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats true! I am pretty easy on the pedal anyway. Ive got 256k...(well more really been lifted on at least 37" tires most of its life) so my odometer is off. We'll just say its got 256k lifted miles. Maybe I should have my chip reburned while Im there? He could optimize everything and setup the truck for the trans.

I just hope I can make it down there with my weak tranny! Ha ha...I guess if Im easy on it and dont run the tuner.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I know have for bts trannys they are the awesome. 4500 is just for the tranny and install then you got sales tax and a cooler is extra if you want one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I know have for bts trannys they are the awesome. 4500 is just for the tranny and install then you got sales tax and a cooler is extra if you want one.

So 6000 is a more realistic price? I mean the cooler is $500. You're already at 5k now. Tax is another 3-4 hundred. I thought you walked in and plunked 4500 down and you were done?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hope so cuz if its gonna be 5500 thats alot more than 4500. I mean I dont wanna leave there with a dirty old tranny cooler feeding that trans but Im not gonna plunk down 450 bucks plus install for a different cooler. Ill be out there putting a trucool in it in the parking lot across the street before I pay 5-600 for a 6L cooler, installed.

Racer x make anything decent?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yer probably right..about the cooler.

I thought, really, that was part of the transmission system that he used. In other words I thought he would put that in as part of the install. Not a huge deal but the reason I dont already have a 6l cooler is because I think they are expensive for what they are.

I just dont wanna get there and wind up having to pay closer to 6k. If I knew it was that much Id be prepared. I need to figure out what its gonna cost me and get it scheduled. Ive got most of the 4500 right now just need to know about the hidden costs. Guess Ill find out Monday.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I can do that...he said he wants to 'talk' to me more before we decide anything. But why wouldnt he wanna sell me a trans? In other words I dont think he's gonna tell me "You dont need one of my transmissions!"

I DO want one honestly.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
prolly ask about your mods and future mods, tire size and the sort so that he can have it ready when you get there... he'll make adjustments to the tranny for different setups custom to your wants and needs....

bruce

Reaction score
if he's chargin 500 for the 6.0 coller go on ebay and get one for like 100-200 bones and take it with you.

TyCorr

Reaction score
yeah, he already asked me a bunch of stuff. All of what you just covered. I believe he wanted to discuss what is going on with the stocker that I believed was neccesitating the whole deal. Im almost expecting him to say "are you sure your trans is bad?" or something to that effect. Who knows? I might be way off.

Mama said she's in. Its funny because she was kinda pissy when I told her Im gonna start modding the ford. "Its sooo old and got so many miles on it and yer just gonna wind up getting pissed when its breakin all the time." Why dont you just get the same truck but a brand new one?" Then she saw the 62k dollar stickers...tune changed. Started throwing parts at it and now she's asking me whats next.

The original plan, up until a week ago was to put the gauges in and then revamp the oil system. The fuel system was on the board too. Now it looks like my oil and fuel moneys are going for a boutique trans...ha ha...oh well. Now all my power adders can be fully utilized as I add them.