suggestions on snow tires

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
The family and I just moved to kodiak, ak. Everyone and their dog is saying to get a good set of snow tires. Seems that we get a decent amound of snow here, but the real problem is the amount of ice and lack of good maintenance of the roads. Currently I'm runnin 35" toyo m/t's. I know for a fact that these tires are horrible in the snow. I haven't looked too much yet. The cooper snow tires seem to make people happy. So what are the army snowbound members running?

fine69

Reaction score
I've used Cooper Discoverer Mud and Snow tires for the last couple years plowing snow, and they've been unbelievable! The only bad thing about them is the sizes are very limited.

Atsah

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Duratracs on my one ton.. I plow all winter here in Maine and they grab like a sumb!tch...

Tom S

Reaction score
I would be looking for what the other local trucks have on them.

Betarocker

Reaction score
The keys to a good snow tire are;
Narrow
Lots of Sipes
Soft compound
Studs (if allowed)

The problem is most that fit all parameters are limited to 31" diameter. As the diameter increases, usually so does the width.

For the last bunch of winters I have been running a Toyo M55 in a 255/85R16 (33") that I had studded and siped (Les Schwab offers this service). Though the compound is harder than ideal, they are pretty decent in the different snow conditions I encounter in a typical winter.

Up to 31", Toyo, Nokian and Cooper offer dedicated winter tires for larger pickups. Anything larger, the selection is limited to All Terrain models. Goodyear Duratrac might be my next tire, but I would need to go wider than I'd ideally want.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i have the cooper S/T's also they are amazing in the snow but im honestly not all that impressed with the mileage. they have about 13k on them and there around half gone, im also having a problem with one of them wearing poorly

Pstroke96

Reaction score
mine are wearing pretty nice. the trick to high mileage is runnin em at 40 psi all around unless you are pulling heavy. try it. it works.

ive been running them at 50, they looked a little soft in the sidewall at 40, ill drop them down see if i can get some more life out of them

Pstroke96

Reaction score
sounds like a plan, i rarely have anything to heavy, usually just my fat @ss but the tires are spectacular in the snow, i was in snow deeper than the bumper, and i just kept on truckin'

KPSquared

Reaction score
A lot of guys around here swear by the Duratracs for snow and longevity. Gravel will kill a lot of softer tires, but the Duratracks seem to wear really well.

V-Ref

Reaction score
The family and I just moved to kodiak, ak. Everyone and their dog is saying to get a good set of snow tires. Seems that we get a decent amound of snow here, but the real problem is the amount of ice and lack of good maintenance of the roads. Currently I'm runnin 35" toyo m/t's. I know for a fact that these tires are horrible in the snow. I haven't looked too much yet. The cooper snow tires seem to make people happy. So what are the army snowbound members running?

Nokian Vativa's on the truck now. Will be going to these come this fall...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDdL5wGH94Y

Blizzaks are popular in Alaska, but not sure they have the sizes we're after (maybe for your other vehicle(s) though)...

Latest posts

Members online