Oil Change Flush aditives???

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Used to use them from time to time in my Bronco and gas trucks, but I have never used it on my powerstrokes...

On another thread someone posted a picture of there oil after 2500 miles and its pretty damn clean, I am due for an oil change and was kicking around buying a few qts of this stuff to flush before I change the oil...

Anyone ever use it?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Seafoam is "supposed" to do the same thing.. I was going to try it next time I changed oil..

But no Ihave never tried it before..

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I was also going to try Seafoam right before I change my oil again. What is the product you're talking about Joe?

Just the crap AutoZone sells, Motor flush or some junk like that. I am sure all it does is break down the sludge...

If you do that, seems like you would need to drain the entire HPO system.

Thats about the only thing I am worried about. But even in a normal car or truck some of that stuff will be left behind.

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
I wonder if you flushed it and then pulled the oil out of the HPOP res, do you think it would get most of the cleaner out? I think this may be the only reason to ever drain the HPOP res. For the record I do not drain my HPOP res when I change my oil.

cj45lc

Reaction score
interesting, I used to put a qt of trans fluid in my gas jobs a couple hundred miles before a oil change but have never tried anything in the PS

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If you ever take the HPOP apart, and look at the sludge that builds up on the bottom of the resevor, You would Flush your oil system, AND change the HPOP fluid AND drain the oil rails.. for good measure.

Just my opinon.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You cant clean all that crap out...unless you are gonna rebuild the motor...some of those 'corners' are best left with gunk in them lest you stir it up.

Big Bore

Reaction score
You cant clean all that crap out...unless you are gonna rebuild the motor...some of those 'corners' are best left with gunk in them lest you stir it up.

Yea you make a good point, what happens when that flush loosens crap up and runs it through the pump, injectors and IPR. Thats .ike putting a tranny detergent flush/additive in a auto with 100K on it thats never been flushed. It aint gonna last long after that.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not trying to tell anyone what to do or imply that I may know something here but it seems that it could have adverse effects. I have a hunch that most of the people here have cleaner motors than they give themselves credit for. Especially with all the 'custom' oils guys are running.

Im fairly sure that my motors clean on the inside.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I know my engine is clean inside, But junk does build up in the hpop resevor.

But i will say this you have a very good point on breaking the junk lose, and putting it were you do not want it, Like injectors, IPR valve. when you look at it like that it get scary...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id say leave well enough alone...save that for a teardown...

Like throwing a golf ball in a room full of sprung mousetraps....

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Marvel mystery oil keeps things cleaned out well and u dont take the chance of the cleaner diluting the fresh oil u put back in it. I usually add a quart or two towards the end when it gets due for a oilchange!

Tom S

Reaction score
Marvel mystery oil keeps things cleaned out well and u dont take the chance of the cleaner diluting the fresh oil u put back in it. I usually add a quart or two towards the end when it gets due for a oilchange!

I think I have seen some negative posts on that in a powerstroke.

old96stroker

Reaction score
I use seafoam twice a year in my truck, spring and fall and put it in a couple hundred miles beforechanging oil and always change oil hot. I run powerstroke brand oil and change every 5000 miles, oil is always more brown than black. I can tell you this the truck always runs better coming out of winter and using seafoam. Your truck will smell a little funny but I have been doing this for the last 3 years and I think it helps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.